edited July 2004 in Hardware
I hadn't seen one of these? Whats the scoop guys

stepping AMA3200BEX5AR 9818155B40333 CAAPC 0405TPMW

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ DTR "CG" Revision

Whats a "CG" revision ??? I have not seena amd 64 without the heatspreader

Comments

• JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited July 2004
    I heard of people removing the heat spreader to get better cooling but the last I heard was that later revisions were epoxed to the core so that it was no longer possible. Also the Amd64 core is supposed to be very fragile so the heatspreader was there to protect it as well.

Is this a chip you have purchased or just a picture you've found?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2004
    One I found.

Here is a quote from the seller "This thing runs a lot cooler than the desktop version, that's because it doesn't have the crappy integrated heatspreader and it's the superior "CG" revision (design for better thermal output). "

I have never seen such a rascal.

Tex
    edited July 2004
    Could it be a mobile Amd64 then? I ask this from his "runs a lot cooler than the desktop version" quote.

Hmm have to see if I can track down any info on the mobile versions.

Jim
    edited July 2004
    Yes the comparing it to the desktop version was a key clue. I figured one of you overclocking guru guys would be aall over this baby and giving me the juicy low down

Tex
    edited July 2004
    Yep, AMA is the mobile DTR stepping & all pics I've just seen show them without the heatspreader.

Hope that helps

Jim
  • edited July 2004
    I would think that they would work just fine in a desktop board like the mobile AXP's, but I'm just guessing there. I would also think it should be a good overclocker too, being the new CG rev and with no heatspreader.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Ya, that's definitely a mobile 64 chip. The PR ratings are a little different on the mobile chips. A desktop 3000+ is 2 GHz, with 512K L2. The mobile 3000+ is 1.8GHz, 1M L2. Similarly, the mobile 2800+ is 1.6GHz, 1M L2.

These things OC well. I've seen guys getting 200+ MHz OCs on them in the notebook with stock notebook cooling, so imagine what you could get out of one with a Thermalright on there! The lack of a heat spreader allows you to get better contact with the heatsink, and therefore cooler chip temps overall.
    edited July 2004
    apparently some MB's do not correctly recognize the microcode although some with bios updates will. If it doesnt it locks down at a multiplier of like "4".

Tex
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited July 2004
    Alf ordered one and is using it in his MSI mobo... can't remember the model name but you might wanna pm him with any questions.