Why my Socket 754 love affair is over...

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
Im at my wits end.

In my house, I have had FOUR socket 754 boards:

Biostar K8NHA Pro: nForce 150 (passed onto a friend in need)::

Barfed on WinXP installs, refused to function with ATA RAID card and was a horribly unstable motherboard. Awful BIOS, unable to change multi's, almost zero adjustment of any traditional features. Nasty PCB layout.

MSI K8T NEO: VIA KT800 ::

The only truly stable board of the four but had it's problems. Again, refused to work with ATA RAID card, glitchy with Audigy sound card, VIA SATA RAID corruption (resolved by using PROMISE controller or not using RAID at all).

Still, has served me well once the initial gripes were resolved and has been as solid as a brick since March.

Gigabyte K8NSNXP: nForce 250 ::

I really tried hard with this board. Really did. First the display wouldn't initialise (Radeon 9800xt). A flash of the VGA BIOS later, made it kick in but it took an age to kick in (often missing the BIOS altogether).

Windows simply refused to find a boot device. Even booting off four floppies failed to aid installation of SATA or IDE. Flashed BIOS several times. A dead one Jim (as they say).

MSI K8N NEO: nForce 250GB ::

The latest (and reportedly greatest) motherboard from MSI. Carrying the full version of the NF250 chipset. Unusuable.... why?

Memory. Even with just one stick of TwinMOS memory in the board, BSOD hell. I got puzzled and annoyed over the course of the last two days. This is BH5 memory, approved for use with just about any machine you can throw at it. It has run 11x220 in an NF-7 and cruised at Cas2 in the K8T.. yet apparently, TwinMOS performs terribly with this board (MSI words) but it's on their approved list. Interesting.

.. so in short....

I love the concept of socket 754, I love the ideal of the next generation computing platform. From reading many forums, boards and newsgroups with other experienced, knowledgable PC enthuiasts who have suffered the same hardware growing pains, Im far from alone. Really, with the best components money can buy.. you are still entering the great unknown. As Omega65 once said.. "bleeding edge is bleeding edge". It's a true statement.

When four "premier" motherboards don't work correctly (out of the box), it's a bad show of a promising technological ideal. Frustration is frustration, no matter how good you think or know you are at something.

I've come to a sad conclusion...

It's almost there, but needs more time. More time spent refining and testing chipsets, more time spent defining tighter controls. If an end user needs to know they can only use x memory from x manufacturer, then say so. If it is likely to be incompatible with x card.. say so! Loud and clear. Don't bury it in a .pdf on the slowest loading site from Taiwan.

There are just too many little glitches and hurdles to jump through before this is fully matured. We all know AMD want to hit the big time and penetrate the big world of enterprise.. but it's not all roses round the door with A64. Not yet. While AMD may have done their homework, others need to really think about what they are putting onto the shelves. Where is the NF7-S of the A64 world? It's not with us yet.

/me looks lovingly at NF7-S & Barton 2500+...
I might just sell the A64 lot and return to the Socket A platform that never let me down :) ... unlike socket 754, which is really starting to leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Comments

• edited July 2004
    That sucks, man.

I hate to say it, but that's the sort of stuff I expected from A64 boards at this point in time. A whole new architecture needs much more time than the "new x86 chip" in the past needed to mature.

I imagine next year it will really take off, though.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2004
    I have three opteron and one amd 64 and all have been absolutley perfect so far. I have been shocked at how perfect everything has run actually.

The socket 754 is the msi neo also and its been flawless. One of the most stable boards I have ever owned and perfect in every way. It;s my daily driver and runs cool and silent 24/7

Tex
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited July 2004
    That sucks Dan, but I gotta say the Asus K8V that I got off RWB has been a breeze. Everything works, no crashes & performs fantastic. I've got windows XP, XP64 & Suse 9.1 pro 64bit edition installed, all with TwinMos BH-5 and overclocked to 220fsb. The only problem I've had is that when flashed to the lastest bios, 1007, it refuses to detect my lsi logic scsi card, so I flashed back to 1006.

Now what was that saying about a bad workman always blames...... :) Only kidding mate, but it sounds like you've picked sh!t end of the stick.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    TheSmJ wrote:
    That sucks, man.

I hate to say it, but that's the sort of stuff I expected from A64 boards at this point in time. A whole new architecture needs much more time than the "new x86 chip" in the past needed to mature.

I imagine next year it will really take off, though.

This is my feeling on it :)
    Tex wrote:
    I have three opteron and one amd 64 and all have been absolutley perfect so far. I have been shocked at how perfect everything has run actually.

The socket 754 is the msi neo also and its been flawless. One of the most stable boards I have ever owned and perfect in every way. It;s my daily driver and runs cool and silent 24/7

Tex

As I said in my post matey, the K8T is and remains the most stable of the four. It's my daily workhorse, hell 95% of the new sites code was written and tested on it. It's the others Im more commenting on. and the general quirks of all of them and my honest thoughts on it all.

Opteron is a different animal altogether. My buddy Stuart has a 144 Opteron on an ASUS and has had zero problems. Opteron's are very nice.
    Jimborae wrote:
    That sucks Dan, but I gotta say the Asus K8V that I got off RWB has been a breeze. Everything works, no crashes & performs fantastic. I've got windows XP, XP64 & Suse 9.1 pro 64bit edition installed, all with TwinMos BH-5 and overclocked to 220fsb. The only problem I've had is that when flashed to the lastest bios, 1007, it refuses to detect my lsi logic scsi card, so I flashed back to 1006.

Now what was that saying about a bad workman always blames...... :) Only kidding mate, but it sounds like you've picked sh!t end of the stick.

The new nForce 250GB ASUS was <s>in</s> my next planned Socket 754. Im just very unlucky or I need to kick myself around the house more. I swear I even read the damn manuals! ;D

I think Im just royally annoyed that I would have to go buy £200 worth of Corsair for my K8N to work :rant:
    edited July 2004
    Not sure why the opterons would be that much differant except for the reg ecc memory.

So many people had trouble with the dual AMD boards bssed on the old MPX chipset but 90 percent of those probs were from folks trying to run non reg ecc memory. I wonder how much of it is related ?

I just got lucky I guess on the memory in the msi neo? I don't know? I got a GB of cheap pc3200 Geil on eBay and just chunked it in there and it's never blinked. Its not their high end crap but their low end memory,

Tex
    edited July 2004
    Tex wrote:
    Not sure why the opterons would be that much differant except for the reg ecc memory.

So many people had trouble with the dual AMD boards bssed on the old MPX chipset but 90 percent of those probs were from folks trying to run non reg ecc memory. I wonder how much of it is related ?

I just got lucky I guess on the memory in the msi neo? I don't know? I got a GB of cheap pc3200 Geil on eBay and just chunked it in there and it's never blinked. Its not their high end crap but their low end memory,

Tex
    That's an interesting analysis on it. Probably is alot to do with the registered requirement. :)

I've been recommended either Corsair Value or some of their ultra fast memory. Im not going to be overclocking the K8N (even though it has working PCI/AGP locks!).. so the value might make the difference. Or I could just sell the damn lot and get a dual opteron :vimp:
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited July 2004
    Sorry for you man. now i'm glad i didn't go 64. Anyway my reson for posting is that you misquoted omega. He said "leading edge is bleeding edge" not "bleeding edge is bleeding edge" as you wrote. :D

I for one followed his advice. Not regretting it for a second. :)
    edited July 2004
    So many people have ram compatibility problems and I have mixed and matched both makes and sizes of registered memory in a slew of differant boards and never had a problem. With six sticks of weird cheap mismatched pc2100 256mb reg ddr in the dual opteron it was hitting higher scores on sandra memory bandwidth then most the OC guys were getting with normal XP box's with pc3200 stuff OC'd to the max.

Sticks of cheap registered pc2100 run me 20 to 30 bucks a stick on ebay. I boiught another pair of microns a couple weeks ago for 39 for the pair.

Tex
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited July 2004
    Well i'm using crucial so i needn't worry about ram.
  • lsevaldlsevald Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    My GA-K8N (NF3-150) + 256MB TwinMOS BH5 modules works fine up to 240-260MHz HT and 2.5-2-5-2 RAM timings here (Vddr=hardwired to 3.3Vrail=3.3-4.0V). The pre CG A64 steppings seems to have issues with non SPD programmed CAS timings, so I leave it at SPD default. I get absolutly no performance increase with CL2.0 over 2.5. I also have CL2.0 SPD programmed BH5 sticks here (mushkin) which OC's a lot better at CL2.0 than 2.5 (indicative of some sort of odd bug in the RAM controller).
    edited July 2004
    lsevald wrote:
    My GA-K8N (NF3-150) + 256MB TwinMOS BH5 modules works fine up to 240-260MHz HT and 2.5-2-5-2 RAM timings here (Vddr=hardwired to 3.3Vrail=3.3-4.0V). The pre CG A64 steppings seems to have issues with non SPD programmed CAS timings, so I leave it at SPD default. I get absolutly no performance increase with CL2.0 over 2.5. I also have CL2.0 SPD programmed BH5 sticks here (mushkin) which OC's a lot better at CL2.0 than 2.5 (indicative of some sort of odd bug in the RAM controller).
    That's the second time someone mentioned about CG steppings and SPD. The MSI forum I was hanging in around in yesterday basically repeated what you said Lasse.

I have a CO stepping...
    edited July 2004
    Shorty wrote:
    That's the second time someone mentioned about CG steppings and SPD. The MSI forum I was hanging in around in yesterday basically repeated what you said Lasse.

I have a CO stepping...

I got a 3200+ C0 stepping too. Do you have 256MB or 512MB TwinMOS sticks Dan? I got a pair of 512MB TwinMOS BH5 modules in my server which I can try in my A64 setup if you want. From experience I seriously doubt 2x512 BH5 will yield any decent OC results...I'm loosing 15-20MHz just going from 1x256MB to 2x256.
    edited July 2004
    lsevald wrote:
    I got a 3200+ C0 stepping too. Do you have 256MB or 512MB TwinMOS sticks Dan? I got a pair of 512MB TwinMOS BH5 modules in my server which I can try in my A64 setup if you want. From experience I seriously doubt 2x512 BH5 will yield any decent OC results...I'm loosing 15-20MHz just going from 1x256MB to 2x256.

512mb's :)

Im not looking for overclocking at the moment, just getting this new MSI board to actually be stable. :banghead: ..

Check out:

http://forum.msi.com.tw/thread.php?sid=&postid=348417#post348417

There are plenty more. Apparently Toms Hardware's tests said that CO stepping failed with this RAM in their tests :rant:
    edited July 2004
    512MB TwinMOS BH5 pretty much sucks I'm afraid (mine wouldn't run 200 DC in my NF7, but induvidually both passed 220 SC). Actually I have yet to try a good stick of 512MB BH5 (any brand). The 256MB modules are great though.

Seems to me that your A64 RAM controller gets overloaded. I said I lost 15-20MHz in RAM OC when moving from one to two sticks. But I don't loose that in Memtest/Goldmemory stability...the problem manifests itself in CPU stability (fails Prime95 and so on).
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited July 2004
    You can always tell the Pioneers by the Arrows in their backs.... ;D

Shorty - sell the Twinmos & CPU and buy some Corsair and a CG!
    edited July 2004
    lsevald wrote:
    512MB TwinMOS BH5 pretty much sucks I'm afraid (mine wouldn't run 200 DC in my NF7, but induvidually both passed 220 SC). Actually I have yet to try a good stick of 512MB BH5 (any brand). The 256MB modules are great though.

Seems to me that your A64 RAM controller gets overloaded. I said I lost 15-20MHz in RAM OC when moving from one to two sticks. But I don't loose that in Memtest/Goldmemory stability...the problem manifests itself in CPU stability (fails Prime95 and so on).
    That's the stage Im basically at Lasse.

Cheers for that, I was starting to wonder if I was seeing things.. or if this hardware just had it in for me :wtf:

Omega, man.. arrows?? I've got some rockets that have exploded in mine... from socket 754 hell ;D

Corsair on order and .. anyone wanna buy a 3200+ Clawhammer core? CO Stepping... DONT USE TwinMOS! :vimp:
    edited July 2004
    I would try new RAM first. The new OCZ EB line seems decent (it's built for A64)...and I have seen some good results with 2x512MB too. That's what I would get anyway :)
    edited July 2004
    lsevald wrote:
    I would try new RAM first. The new OCZ EB line seems decent (it's built for A64)...and I have seen some good results with 2x512MB too. That's what I would get anyway :)
    Thanks for the recommendation.. time to go a-hunting :)

One thing I do love about both the K8T and K8N... native Serial ATA. If the A64 chipsets have brought one good thing for us, it's native SATA (non RAID).
    edited July 2004
    Dan, I would also add to my post that my 3200 Clawhammer is a CG stepping which may then explain alot.

@ Isevald, I also found that in my DFI NF2 rig, that my TwinMos BH-5 (256mb sticks) ran more stable & overclocked higher when at cas 2.0 than 2.5. Mackanz helped me discover this when we were trying to get the board to run stable at any given speed.
    edited July 2004
    From what I can gather, the hardlocked 1T timing is atleast one of the culprits on the pre CG steppings. The 2T Enable wont stick on my C0. I would be interested to hear what you get with your CG Jimborae :) The tool is available from here (be careful though, as it can easily crash your system, oh and close MBM if you get io.sys errors).
    edited July 2004
    Hi Isevald,

It'll be a few days before I post any results with that tool. My scsi disc is being rma'd at present & I have no 32bit os installed on the rig, only 64bit. When it does come back & I've got windows installed again I'll be sure to post my results for you.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited July 2004
    Shorty wrote:

Omega, man.. arrows?? I've got some rockets that have exploded in mine... from socket 754 hell ;D

Corsair on order and .. anyone wanna buy a 3200+ Clawhammer core? CO Stepping... DONT USE TwinMOS! :vimp:

What's the S-M FAH Team Discounted Price?!? :D
    edited July 2004
    lsevald wrote:
    From what I can gather, the hardlocked 1T timing is atleast one of the culprits on the pre CG steppings. The 2T Enable wont stick on my C0. I would be interested to hear what you get with your CG Jimborae :) The tool is available from here (be careful though, as it can easily crash your system, oh and close MBM if you get io.sys errors).
    So basically, I have a chip that just takes one look at my memory and throws a fit at it.

Great ;D an A64 with attitude!
    Omega65 wrote:
    What's the S-M FAH Team Discounted Price?!? :D
    Will depend on what happens when my new memory arrives. If it still croaks, Il make sure you get the right price ;)
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I have the msi K8T neo Fis2r and worked ok with via and promise raid and my audigy 2. yet I think the power problems latelty fried it and nothing else

But i am leaning towards selling my A64 and board and going back to socket A till next year then go S 939 when its more mature
    edited July 2004
    Shorty wrote:
    So basically, I have a chip that just takes one look at my memory and throws a fit at it.

Great ;D an A64 with attitude!

It's not a timing parameter stored in the DIMM SPD. My guess is that with more than 2 banks populated, the BIOS should autodetect and enable 2T for greater stability. 1T greatly improve RAM performance, but it's affecting stability at high DIMM load. I believe most recent boards defaults to 2T if a CG is installed. I found some info here:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/31410.pdf
    The use of 2T timing allows support of many DIMM combinations at the maximum DDR speeds listed in Table 1. The 2T timing feature causes commands and addresses to be driven for two clock cycles and qualified with an associated chip select on the second clock cycle, allowing an extra clock of setup to accommodate heavy DIMM loading (such as double-rank DIMMs). Refer to the BIOS and Kernel Developer’s Guide for the AMD Athlon™ 64 and AMD Opteron™ Processors, order# 26094, for the DIMM combinations that require 2T timing to operate at the full DRAM speed. 2T timing is supported in CG and later silicon revisions. Refer to the AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Power and Thermal Data Sheet, order# 30430, for silicon revision determination.
    edited July 2004
    Isevald, this is what i get on my CG stepping amd64 3200. I dont know whether this helps.
    edited July 2004
    Same as my C0...so I was wrong. But can you change 2T to enable?
    edited July 2004
    lsevald wrote:
    Same as my C0...so I was wrong. But can you change 2T to enable?

No, every time I try & set it to T2 enable it reverts back to disable. :(
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited July 2004
    On my chip (which I'm guessing is a CG, but I'm new to all this) the T2 is set to 'enable' by default, when I disable it using the tweak utility I get an extra 100 marks in PCMark 04, with no stability issues. (In case you're wondering, the memory divider is set to 166MHz because at 200MHz I can't raise the base clock any before the memory craps out, and I have to have timings set to 3-3-3-7 for it to work at all)

my chip
    cpuz.jpg

default settings
    notweak.jpg

with 2T set to 'disable'
    tweak.jpg