windows xp installation problems!!

leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
installing windows xp here for a friend, and it's running on a abit nf7-s with an athlon 2600+ mobile, and 1 gig of corsair ram with asus radeon 9800xt.

WD 120 SATA 7200RPM hdd is connected to the onboard sata header, and it is recognized in BIOS, but when installing windows, and at the part that ask me to press F6 to install driver for the SATA, i did, and after it loads everything, and i press ENTER to continue installing it says no hard disk found, never prompted me that part where i chose to install the driver for the SATA.

what is the problem here guys?? any ideas??

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2004
    Its not liking the driver. Your sure its really getting the driver loaded right?
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    finally, figured out the problem.

it's the keyboard, when asked to press F6, i did, but i don't think uit worked. So i switched the keyboard, and now it works fine.

but the weird thing is i used the same keyboard to get into BIOS fine, but just not the F6 part, and when installation didn't find the hdd, it ask to press F3 to quit, and it works at that point again.

WEIRD.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Is it a Logitech USB keyboard like the "Internet Navigator" or such? I am using one and you need to hit the "F-Lock" @ start-up to access the 'F' keys. The 'F' keys work normally in the bios but beyond that need the "F-Lock" button on to function.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Lieshi65, sometimes a piece of food or a hair or something gets down in keyboard and gets stuck in switch. No contact when you push down on key, no key switch signal gets sent. One thing you could do is get a keyboard tester program, see if just one key or a whole bunch of them. Let me see if I can find one for you, freebie kind....

Trial I think, but try this one.... To use, plug "bad" keyboard in, see if XP boots. If yes, go to link below, click on download link.

http://www.softempire.com/keyboardtest.html
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    thanks for the tips, John, did u messed up my name on purpose??
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    It's also likely a problem with the fact that BIOS may not have the option enabled to transfer control of USB peripherals to the BIOS itself.