c:\windows\prefetch ?

KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
edited July 2004 in Spyware & Virus Removal
What is this folder? it is full of exe files with a bunch of stuff at the end like SETUP1.EXE-02E0AD2F.pf

I found a couple files in there that resemble known spyware/trojans that were on my computer.

Should I delete them all?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    PREFETCH is a cache folder that windows uses to "pre-load" executables so that things launch faster. As part of routine maintenance, I dump the entire folder. It's totally safe to do so.
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited July 2004
    Thanks for the quick reply man. I am currently having some problem with the about:blank crap again. I am going to try to solve this one myself before I post here.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    True, that is something I dump regularly also. If you get something that cannot be dumped\erased in that folder, make sure nothing normal is running. If still cannot dump\erase that folders' contents (prefetch AND any subfolders of prefetch, thus plural), try to erase it\them while in safe mode. BUT expect it to have content fairly often without all that content being spyware, it can be used for archives for updates to temporarily exist in before being saved, etc. Stuff downloaded by your computer that is spyware can hide in that folder too.