File Attachment Idea

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Community
I really don't know how feasible this really is, but I think we can all agree that flexibility in the positioning of attachments would be very nice. Allowing us to create tutorials on the fly, without all of our images showing up at the bottom of our post in the attach box.

My thought, then, was to somehow allow a variable that works like a VB code that allows us to insert our attachments where we need them.

When opening the attachment interface, you'd be presented with your normal attach structure. However there could be another button that switches to advanced mode, which facilitates this feature that I'm thinking of.

In this advanced mode you could give each attachment an alias if you will (Of course it would report if the alias already exists). Attaching pictures in advanced mode would disable the images showing up at the bottom of the thread, and leave them to variable-based insertion.

For example, I attach a picture in advanced mode of an AMD logo. I want that picture to show up smack dab in the middle of whatever I'm posting (Surely more propaganda). If I attach it normally, it'll move to the bottom of my post where I don't want it.

So advanced mode, and I give it the alias "AMD_LOGO" and then I attach it.

My post could then look like this:

"Blah blah blah, prescott is more an efficient furnace than efficient processor, blah blah blah, the Pentium 4 engineers need to be sacked. Blah blah blah, AMD definitely has a better logo:

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I have often thought that attachments needed to be inserted where we would like them instead of the bottom....

I like Thrax's idea....
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    This is how it works ok...

When you submit your reply, which is in the form of a HTML form going to a PHP processor, included in this POST request are your files in temporary state. This uses the $_FILES superglobal. These are copied into the servers temporary directory.

After the required collection of database queries related to the post, these temporary files are copied into the attachments database in encrypted form with no file extension. An additional set of queries is performed to update the post table and associate the post with which attachments and their new format.

This encryption tag/method is for sites that do not have the ability to operate folders underneath the webroot (base URL of a website). We are fortunate that we can as we run a dedicated server. Alot of VB sites only have shared space, which prevents this useful security mechanism.

There is no option to not have them as encrypted files.

When a post with attachments is viewed, the attachments are generated last and pinned at the bottom of the post, simply pulled from the folder, renamed and the HTML will act approrpriately as it recognises the extension (.jpg, .zip ...). The issue is the post parser only touches the files at the last moment before generating the HTML and rendering the page.

While Im sure it's possible to hack around a little, I know several others at VB.org (Vbulletin hack site) have attempted to rewrite the attachment system for more flexibility and failed. One of the short comings of Vbulletin (even release 3) is the incredibly dis-jointed architecture which means a huge feature rewrite like this could break other functionality. I have experienced this first hand... and it can be bloody painful to figure out which included file & function you just killed.

A friend of mine who is a non-VB admin took a look at some code for a client and described hacking VBulletin as a "dark art".

While your request is valid, it's a monsterous job that will need redoing with every update or fix. Simply too big a job. Sorry :(
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    No problem, Dan. Thanks. :D
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited July 2004
    Hmmmmm.....

test:

attachment.php?attachmentid=10239&stc=1

Like that...?

///EDIT: Ok, so, if the images are posted somewhere else (ie, like the BABE THREAD used in this example) it is possible to then grab the URL and insert it as an IMAGE using the IMAGE tag.

So....

why not have an IMAGE thread for those who are wanting to post Guides? Give approved authors access to an SM IMAGE thread, where they first upload all their images. Then they grab the URL's of the uploaded images. Finally, they post their guide thread, with IMAGE tags pointing to the SM IMAGE Thread.

Just a thought for a workaround...only catch may be in the permissions needed to allow all users to see the images attached from that thread, but only giving staff + approved members access to add images to that thread....but I am sure Shorty can work that out, right...? ;)

Dexter...
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    I had the thought of attaching files in a thread and taking the link for guides and stuff before.
    edited July 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    I had the thought of attaching files in a thread and taking the link for guides and stuff before.

That idea does work (I never even thought about it.. my bad) :)

Id be prepared to work out a permissions schema for it..
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Great job Dexter.... [tisk] [tisk] Shorty.... and I thought you knew everything... there goes your 100% confidence rating....
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Why bother with permissions for a thread? Anyone can post any attachment any time, so it kinda makes that whole idea seem extra complicated with little payoff. If someone is posting in it that shouldn't be, do what we always do... delete it ;)
    edited July 2004
    Why bother with permissions for a thread? Anyone can post any attachment any time, so it kinda makes that whole idea seem extra complicated with little payoff. If someone is posting in it that shouldn't be, do what we always do... delete it ;)

My thought on that was just so that it does not get misused, ie, only gets used by people for useful reason such as guides and articles.

Dexter...
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Dexter wrote:
    My thought on that was just so that it does not get misused, ie, only gets used by people for useful reason such as guides and articles.

Dexter...

Yeah. You might not want people posting a sig image in there and using it at a bunch of other forums with heavy traffic. Just for example.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited July 2004
    Dexter wrote:

Dexter...

Have a special password issued to allow access. Thrax could use "INTEL". Nobody would ever guess that one. :nudge:
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited July 2004
    dragonV8 wrote:
    Have a special password issued to allow access. Thrax could use "INTEL". Nobody would ever guess that one. :nudge:

;D

It would be nice to make guides like that but wouldn't it be simplier to make it as an html and email the folder that has all images, whatever other files + webpage in it to shorty so that he can upload it. Sure the webpage would have to be redesigned to fit the forum layout but then the forum software could be left alone.

I don't find it that difficult to make a webpage if it only has images and text in it so the author of the guide wouldn't have to know html as long as the right tools are used. Such tools could be mozilla composer which i use and like. Sure it doesn't have that many functions but it's free, have more functions then i know how to use and most importantly a graphical ui which makes webdesign relatively simple. it's by no means the only app of its kind but still usefull.

BTW i don't use mozilla for surfing since i don't feel like quiting with opera. It's nice though. :)
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited July 2004
    Only serve the image if the referer is SM
    Cyclonite wrote:
    Yeah. You might not want people posting a sig image in there and using it at a bunch of other forums with heavy traffic. Just for example.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    a2jfreak wrote:
    Only serve the image if the referer is SM

Right, yeah... Erm.. I knew that...

:banghead: :rolleyes::buck:
    edited July 2004
    EyesOnly wrote:
    ;D

wouldn't it be simplier to make it as an html and email the folder that has all images, whatever other files + webpage in it to shorty so that he can upload it. Sure the webpage would have to be redesigned to fit the forum layout

More work for Shorty that way though...

Dexter...
    edited July 2004
    Is it? If someone sent me a zipfile with images and text to add to my website all i would have to do would be to unzip it, upload the folder created and make the neccecary links to the webpage within. All that shorty would have to do would be to make slight changes to the webpage so it would have the correct layout or am i missing something. I'll download a guide or article and have a look at it. Perhaps there's more code then it lookes like. BRB
    edited July 2004
    The code has to be modified to fit Short-Media's template. It has to be edited for content, spelling.. Images have to be sized and compressed properly for front-page work..

It's a lot more work than you would imagine. If it's on the forum side, though, it doesn't quite matter.
    edited July 2004
    I just noticed that as i looked at mediamans guide on cable orginisation. Couldn't shorty just realize that template and let us do the job of resizing pics and that. It's done anyway when you make a webpage unless you want large pics with i tend to avoid as respect for 56k:ers. Then all he would have to do would be to make sure everything looks ok.
    edited July 2004
    Ok.. this has diverted from it's original question.. so ..

1) To modify the existing attachment system is far too much work and risks leaving gaping big holes or breaking other segments of the forums.

2) There is no point in setting an "attachment" thread, as members without permission to use it (as pointed out), will simply attach an image in another thread and link to it.

3) Image attachments are blocked from being linked to another site. .htaccess and rewrite rules are there for a reason. No bandwidth theft thanks.

4) There is no reason to release forum or main site templates. This is a forums attachment system request.. and has zero to do with the main site. If you want to publish something on the main site, just PM one of the admins or Keebs. We are always interested.. and have published plenty. and hope to do more :)

So.. in short.. the system stays as it is, for the reaons explained. :)
    edited July 2004
    You're right that keeping the current system would be best. Now i all have left to figure out is guides on something that hasn't already been written about a couple of thousend times. :D
    edited July 2004
    The trick isn't really to finding something that hasn't been written about a couple thousand times. It's about writing it better than the couple thousand people before you.
    edited July 2004
    And that's suppposed to be easier. :D Oh well.

How about conversion guides from dvd to whatever. I've heard that noone has written any good ones. :D