Doom 3 Release date delayed?

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
After information was cited discussing the release schedules of various retail websites, it is now speculated that the release of the eagily awaited Doom III, could now have been pushed back to March 2004, rather than the originaly expected November of this year.
...RBC Capital Markets has issued a research brief in advance of Activision's releasing financial details from its first quarter next Tuesday. One area RBC expresses some concern with is the release of Doom III, in development by id Software. The investment firm, citing the release schedules of various retail website (not the most reliable sources, but semi-useful for informative purposes), as now showing a Doom III release date in March of 2004, as opposed to a previously expected street date of this November...
RBC wonders how a later release of Doom III would affect Activision in the current fiscal year, as it has projected the anticipated PC game to contribute $68.0 million in revenues and $0.10 per share in Activision's third-quarter and $26.0 million and $0.04 per share in the company's fourth quarter. While RBC notes that a delay in the game's release from the third to fourth quarter could result in a fiscal year drop of approximately $27.0 million in revenue, it adds that any loss would be merely tacked on to the next fiscal year's results.

Original report:
http://www.gamedaily.com/search/whole_story.asp?ID=4572

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

They cant do this to us, we have waited too bloody long for this to come out :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Saying that Half Life 2 should be out by then, so at least thats some comfort.
  • edited July 2003
    iD was offered a lot of money from Micro$oft to delay the PC version of Doom 3 until after the XBox's version was ready. I believe this is what happened.

At least Half Life 2 will be out September/Octoberish.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Well, if the PC version is ready months before the x-box version, it may get leaked :D
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    i hope the xbox's version SUCK!! i mean look at the requirements for it...the xbox cant possibly support it..unless it reworks the engine...
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    WuGgaRoO said
    i hope the xbox's version SUCK!! i mean look at the requirements for it...the xbox cant possibly support it..unless it reworks the engine...

It will work with some tweaking ;)

Sure, it won't look as pretty but it will work.

There could be another reason for delaying. Half-Life 2 for a start! Even with mammoth advance sales, Im sure ID don't want to be fighting with Valve for sales. Better to delay it till the HL2 buzz has died down and release it then (when buyers have money again).
  • fuxorfuxor i live in a giant bucket
    edited July 2003
    shocked? anyone? no? didn't think so :P
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2003
    MS must have offered ID some serious cash to not have Doom3 be released in time for the BUSIEST time of the year: the holiday shopping season.

X-Box & Doom 3? That's like a hydrogen powered muscle car. All look, no balls. :D
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    At least it will still be out before Duke Nukem Whenever.
  • edited July 2003
    I believe Duke Nukem Forever was scrapped. The engine they were using (Unreal) is ages old, everything "new" that the game was supposed to bring to the world has now been done. Not to mention, they havent said a word about it.

I have a video of the game that I got back in 98-99ish. I believe it said the game will be released '01.