Video Card/Mobo problems

edited October 2005 in Hardware
Ok, so I'm building someone a new computer for college. I'm a system builder, and have done about a dozen systems in the last 2 months alone. He wanted something that would last him a bunch of years but was on somewhat of a budget (around 1000). So, I figured I'd build him a solid, but not insane socket 754 64bit system. Here are the parts, all from newegg.com :

AMD socket 754 2800+
2x512 Geil Value Series PC3200
Chaintech CT-SK8T800 board
2x80gb Hitachi SATA drives at RAID 0
Sapphire Radeon 9600 w/ 256 mb (8x)

The board isn't the best board out there, but it was dirt dirt cheap. I know motherboard isn't a great thing to skimp on, but reviews weren't all that bad and the chipset is fast, and since he was on a budget it seemed like a reasonable way to build him a good 64 bit system. So I put in RAM and proc, connect front panel and turn on. No system beeps....but nothing on the screen. First thing I thought: dead board. Clear CMOS; no change. Put in an old Radeon 7000 on the unlikely hope it was the video card, and system starts up and posts no problem. So now I assume dead video card. I install Windoze and get everything running. I'm about to RMA the card for a replacement, when I decide to test it first.

I put the "dead" card in my computer (AMD athlon 2200+, and a board that only supports 4x) and voila. Everything is worknig. So I put it back in his to make sure I just didnt' have it in wrong, but I get nothing. I have another card around for a system I'm building later this week. So I took that card (a Sapphire 9600 SE with 128mb ram, 8x) and put it in. Again I get nothing. So both my old, 4x cards work fine in this board. Neither of my new, 8x cards (both also sapphire) will work. This is a problem for me. Is their a known compatibility issue? Thus far googling has revealed nothing. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2004
    Whats the PSU look like? The 9600 takes more juice do you have a strong psu?

Tex
  • edited July 2004
    admitedly a cheap power supply-- its 350 watts tho, so altho its not of high quality it should have enough power, no? And is this how the system would react if it didn't? by just not showing anything on the screen. If something had fried on first start up, I would have known it was the power supply and kicked my own ass, but nothing fried...it just doesn't work in this system. The exact power supply can be seen here http://www.xoxide.com/5in1combo.html

I went to high school with the guys who own the company and they give me a good deal, especially on that combo, which makes building complete systems for low low prices even easier. Thats why I opted for this rather than for something from Enermax or Thermaltake..

Good thougth tho, I may have a better PSU around I can try running the system with. I almost hope that is the problem, as it'd be easy and fairly cheap to remedy. Thanks for the idea, I'll keep you posted. :cool2:
  • edited July 2004
    A good idea, but not the problem =\ Just put in a thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W PSU with the exact same result. Old card works, new card is no go. This is frustrating, cuz I'm on somewhat of a time schedule.

Even if I had to RMA the card and get a new one, I don't know what to get because I don't know what is causing the problem. I could just order the exact same card I have, but I'd really like to give him something better than a Radeon 9000 Pro w/ 64mb. Since I dunno whats causing the issue tho, I can't order a good card I know will work :mean::rant:

:banghead:

What an annoying problem to have. Any other suggestions?
  • edited January 2005
    I have the same problem. I got a Chaintech ct-sk8t800 with a Radeon 9600XT 128. The new card wont work, but if I plug in my old PCI Radeon 7000 everything is ok. I also notice that when the Radeon 9600 is plugged in the system wont POST. Any ideas? Ive seen this particular problem posted all over the net but no solutions. Please email me: jriechers@hotmail.com :scratch:
  • edited October 2005
    If you cant get board to POST with this board try going into BIOS with your PCI video card. Advanced Chipset Features. AGP + P2P Bridge. Find AGP driving control and change it from Auto to Manual. Now in the manual settings box you must enter a hex value. Default is probably DA which is equal to 218. Enter "EA" in the box equal to 234. This should work if not try a higher number via a hex value. You can go to 255 max. This is a function only in VIA chipset boards. It is the driving signal strength. If too low I had same problem with system not posting.