Production down... need help!

MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
edited July 2004 in Folding@Home
It's been storming here for the past 2 days... Thunderstorms. Well, today's big storm managed to fry one network card in my brother's computer. The way the network is set up here, my computer is linked to my bro's computer, (he has two network cards in his comp) my bro's comp to the hub, to the modem, and the rest of the world. :) Until his computer gets another network card, we are both without internet. Since my computer is roughly 80% of my total folding production, I'm gonna be at zero 'till my parents' computer decides to turn in it's current WU. (Not a speedy rig)

My question: Is there any way I can get work to my own computer (like transfer work from this computer) without losing the WU it has completed but not submitted yet? If I do manage to transfer work, will this computer download a new WU to work on? And when I complete the work, can I transfer it back to have it submitted (again, without losing work), or will it all pile up and be sent in all at one time, when my (and my brother's) computer is reconnected?

My computer's not working! It's not right!! :rant: Help?

-Rick

Comments

• edited July 2004
    Do you happen to have a jump drive by any chance? If you do, then it makes it easy for you to transfer work to and from different computers. Let us know if you have a jump drive and if you do, I'll fill you in on how to transfer the work between the 2 computers. :)
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited July 2004
    Nope, no jump drive. :(
  • edited July 2004
    It's too bad you don't have a jump drive or something else that holds more data than a floppy that can be written to. A floppy is just too small to send work results through nowdays for sneakernetting work. Even an old zip drive would be fine for transferrig the work though.

Basically what you do is copy the whole directory that the client is installed in to the transfer medium and give that client a different machine id than the one in the computer that has internet access(machine id 2 or higher, if you are running multiple clients on the computer with inet access). Once the transferred client is able to work out of the computer with internet access, start that client and let it send it's completed wu in and then get another wu for processing, then shut that transferred client down and copy the whole thing back to it's original spot on the computer without internet access.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited July 2004
    Thanks for your help, but I won't be doing any work for some time. Hard drive crashed... :-/ :bawling:
  • edited July 2004
    Sorry to hear that man, that sucks! :(