3 Site Design Ideas

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Internet & Media
I am curious what you guys think of these site design ideas I made last night, which you like better, and of course why. Any comments or suggestions would be great for this beginner.
:thumbsup:
My first idea...
layout1.jpg
My second idea...
layout2.jpg
My third idea...
layout3.jpg

//EDIT://(changed first to third)... sorry for any confusion

FYI, the music will stream using a built in media player I am working on in Director, you'll see in the third one; which is a more complete idea; that there is a play button next to the music, all alone, that is where the media player will be, but it's still an idea in progress.

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Erm. Am I missing something? I think you forgot to post something. :buck:

//Edit: Nevermind...

//Edit 2: I like #1 :)
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2004
    Yeah but are the links fubar or does my computer hate me??
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2004
    They all look very similar to me. Little box's with red crosses in them. You'll have to be a little more creative than that dood.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Yeah, I originally uploaded them to S-M, but when placed in the page they appeared to be one big image cuase of the color, so I tried separating them, this somehow caused them to no longer work, now they reside on my webspace... where i should have put them in the first place. THEY WORK NOW! LOL!

Sorry about that, didn't expect any of that.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    those are awesome designs man, really great work. i like the first one best, it looks easier to get info from to me.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2004
    Now I see them.
    I like the second one best. It looks 'cleaner' and easier to read. It's more obvious what's on offer. All nice though.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited July 2004
    First one definitly. Everything is clear and easy to read. The others I am having a hard time just glancing at and reading what it says.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2004
    #1. Creative and original but not over the top. As said, the other two you have to do a double-take almost...
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2004
    i agree with entropy, #1 looks great
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    hehe, I may have to keep #1 for myself and give the guy I am doing this for one of the others, fixed up of course ;)
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited July 2004
    i'm drawn to #1. it's aesthetically the most pleasing to me, and i like the links along the top. it's "clean" looking. :)

LIN
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2004
    I like number 1 also, but i have to say that i have seen this similar design done quite a lot. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't keep it, just letting you know it is definitly out there already....just something to keep in mind.

Also, if you don't mind a little constructive criticism, I think the gray bars on the top and the bottom are too thick. If you trim them down a little bit, it will provide more room for your main info.

Overall, i reallly like your color choice as it is easy to look at. Also the <i>gestalt</i> is nice in the first one, meaning that the entire design works well as a whole. Keep working at it and you will have a very nice, clean interface.

Good luck!
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited July 2004
    #2 is the most usable, however #1 has the best cool factor. It depends what you want the site to be .. personally I'd go with #2 as I'm a usability fan but it really should depend on your client :).
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    "gestalt" pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean?

BTW, yeah it is similar to others, maybe, but who I am making this for is all about the eye candy. The customer gets what they want. I used the same image in the background for then all(the abstract looking boxes), just becuase I needed to build these quick. I built them all so that I can EASILY change the color and almost any detail at a moments notice, so if there is redundancy, remember it is a PrePro module :)

I see alot of potential in #2 myself, but I worked on it the least when I thought of another idea. These are still very new and I forsee them changing alot based on all of your input so far. New ideas have come to mind, and the first one, well I am going to use it for my own site. Unless another idea I am working on now comes out better.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited July 2004
    I like #1 as well, nice and clean, organizef and easy to find the links at a single glance, yet still has an artistic subtlety to the background.

#3 wouldbe my second choice, but I think both #2 and #3 are a little dark. If you can pump some of that brighter blue into those ones, they would grab people a bit better, in my opinion.

Nice work RWB :)

Dexter...
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited July 2004
    #1, although they all look great. :)

Cheers,
    "g"
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2004
    here's merriam-webster's interpretation..... http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=gestalt&x=0&y=0

Gestalt is german, and it is a graphic design term. It basically means that all individual parts/aspects are working together to form a well-designed whole. No distracting elements or other incongruities. In other words, unity of design.

In order to have gestalt, a work needs to be pleasing to the eye, and your eye needs to flow evenly over the whole piece. Goes along with form follows function...it's a german logic thing and all.......ever heard of Bauhuas?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Ahh yes, goes over the S curve and all that I bet... yeah we learned this in one of my past classes actually. I was "supposed" to remember it....

Guess I didn't ;D
  • PressXPressX Working! New
    edited July 2004
    Looks good... I would go with number one but perhpas steel elements of the menu from number two. The menu feels a little to stong/bold in number one as it is... but great Gestalt :thumbsup:
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I'm about to head home, thank guys. I'll use what you have said so far and any future comments to make them both better in appearance and in ease of use. Hopefully I'll soon find the time to finish my own site :P Which has said it'll be working in two weeks for the past 2 months lol! So little time, so much fooling around ;D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I like #1 as well. I've used a few designs incorporating that zigzag style before, and I always remember why I like it. It looks neat and works well.