My D Drive won't read my cds.

edited September 2004 in Hardware
It won't read my cds or data disc. any ideas what could be wrong? It's only about a year and a half old. I use Windows XP.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Can you give more detail?

What exactly do you mean by "won't read" them? Does the drive spin up? Does the drive even show up in Windows? Is it recognized in the BIOS?
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    she's dead Jim...
  • edited July 2004
    i put a cd in the other night to burn and it said there were no files in the d drive. then i tried to see if a data cd would work, still no go. im not getting any error messages or anything like that its just not recognizing the cd at all.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    It could be a bad cable, or a bad IDE channel on the motherboard, but the most likely situation is that it's a dead CD drive. Do you have a spare cable to try first, though?
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    when you open "my computer", do you see a cdrom drive there? what about if you go into your bios when the computer boots up, do you see the cdrom drive being recognized? and yeah, try to switch out the data cable, also try switching out the power connector too.
  • edited August 2004
    Uhhh i'm having a bit of a problem wid mi cd-rom drive too... iz an internal one.... and it recognises the disk and all. And when i open it in da morning it readz da first cdz an then it juss wont animore.... watz happening?!?!?
  • edited September 2004
    browning wrote:
    It won't read my cds or data disc. any ideas what could be wrong? It's only about a year and a half old. I use Windows XP.

I'm currently having this problem.
    One way around it seems to be
    Restart your computer, as soon as you can, insert a CD, and once the desktop appears, open My Computer, and it will read the CD. But if you wait until the computer has already booted and try to insert a CD it will not read them.

I don;t know why, I was looking for a solution to this problem when I came across this forum.

Hope this helps.
    If you find a solution, email me at austopal@bigpond.net.au

Thanks.

Wade.