Old SCSI opinion.

DonutDonut Maine New
edited July 2004 in Hardware
Hi all,

Afriend of mine dropped off an old SCSI controller and hd, Adaptec 2940 controller, WD Ultra 2 drive (18.3gb, 7200rpm).

I was trying to read up on the parts and basically got confused (again :) )

How would this compare to a regular ide hd, as far as performance? My guess would be about the same or slower than my current drives.

I'm also thinking that about all it would be good for is to connect multiple drives.

Should I be looking to use this, or throw it in my "antique" parts box.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Tom

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2004
    I use that controller for cdroms or tape drives. the access time on that drive is probably similiar to a ide. In the 9ms range I bet, but the transfer rate is like a third of a really fast ide drive probably. Something in the 20,000 range.

Tex
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2004
    Thanks Tex,

Looks like into the parts box it goes, I hate to get rid of anything. (especially free stuff) :D
    edited July 2004
    Donut wrote:
    Thanks Tex,

Looks like into the parts box it goes, I hate to get rid of anything. (especially free stuff) :D

Consider another possible use for it. How about having it in a hot swap tray and using it to backup onto? If its like 9gb you can usually image your OS to it or something?

Its not that its useless but its not fast enough to really use all the time unless its for casual storage. I mean its gonna play mp3's fine and stuff.

Tex
  • edited July 2004
    Another use for it would be to use in a dedicated folding rig as the hard drive. A 9 gig drive is plenty big for a dedicated folding rig. :fold:
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2004
    muddocktor wrote:
    Another use for it would be to use in a dedicated folding rig as the hard drive. A 9 gig drive is plenty big for a dedicated folding rig. :fold:

Yeah that's probibly where it will end up. Who knows already have a couple of small ide hds just waiting for me to get a machine to put them into. I might use an old pentium pro in the closet for a server box or something. Right now my desk has 3 rigs running, my wife just looks over and shakes her head. :) (yes all folding)

My friend is checking his workplace for more stuff for me, he had also dropped off a couple of IDE hard drives with the SCSI. When his workplace gets rid of stuff it just gets trashed.

It will get used for something! Just need to acquire more junk and see what I can put together. ;D

I'm still a computer noob, just an older one.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2004
    I have a WD Enterprise 9100 (7200rpm, 9gb) drive from an old proliant 3000 sitting around. If I remember correctly, I got attos peaking out at 11000 on the top end when I tested it. It's an ultra2 drive I believe.
    edited July 2004
    Donut wrote:
    Yeah that's probibly where it will end up. Who knows already have a couple of small ide hds just waiting for me to get a machine to put them into. I might use an old pentium pro in the closet for a server box or something. Right now my desk has 3 rigs running, my wife just looks over and shakes her head. :) (yes all folding)

My friend is checking his workplace for more stuff for me, he had also dropped off a couple of IDE hard drives with the SCSI. When his workplace gets rid of stuff it just gets trashed.

It will get used for something! Just need to acquire more junk and see what I can put together. ;D

I'm still a computer noob, just an older one.

When you consider how much faster any modern motherboard is its hard for me to waste the time to even install an OS anymore on a pent pro class machine and like you I scarf around for used stuff all the time. But every week Fry's has specials in the paper iwth a XP 2500+ class cpu/motherboard combo for like 65 bucks and its soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much faster unless your going Linux at the command like for the server its really worth the money to do something along those lines.

Tex
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2004
    Yep, I do know what you meen, but it was free! ;D

My old pentium pro (a Digital Desktop at that) is actually slated to go to one of the grand-kids, something for them to fool around with. (I actually had it folding for a couple mos.)

Up my way, it's considered "life in the slow lane", that kinda goes for technology also. Whatever computer parts I buy, I get on-line. I mean Best-Buy/Circuit City are over an hours drive away. We waited for a year for Adelphia to hook up cable internet out this way, after the lines were run of course. :buck:

The other prob I run into is the "real world", I'm currently un-employed so $$$ are a definite factor, plus the house needs a lot of attention! :) At some point, a couple of new rigs WILL be built, primarily for folding, but because I enjoy it. I do drool over the deals I hear about at Fry's, hell I check out New-egg refurbs quite frequently, I haven't checked out E-bay yet, I'd probibly just get in trouble. Most people I know would love to have my old Athlon 850 as it would be a major upgrade for them so even now I'm kinda considered extravagant. Oh well, Thanks for everybodys input and letting me bend your ear for a while, I'm on my first cup of coffee, so typing is even slower than the thought process. ;D

Tom