Until recently my low spec system ran very sweetly;

Asus A7A266 rev 1.03
AMD XP2200+
GF2 MX400
SBL Player 1024
40Gb Samsung 7200rpm
768Mb DDR Ram
Win XP Pro

A few weeks ago I installed a Sapphire ATi 9800pro Atlantis. Still it ran smoothly without any indication that anything was amiss. Then, last week, I reformatted the HD.

Since then, over a short period, the monitor - 17" LG Flatron 795FT Plus - began to show increasingly worrying symptoms. It began with me having to stretch/reposition/skew the display through the OSD. Then games began playing up (Toca Race Driver 2 amongst others), with frequent CTD's and screen flashing, accompanied by what sounded like quiet radio interferrence.

Then I couldn't see the POST screens, it would simply arrive at the logon screen and was slow to gain size like an old TV warming up. Finally it died. Swapped out the fuse but no joy. No lights, no power, zip!

Now here's something I haven't mentioned, and I don't know how significant it is;
During the reformat I forgot to install the monitor drivers :zombie:

Does anyone have any theories/advice they can offer before my new monitor arrives so I can apply them and hopefully avoid a repeat episode?

I should stress that I may be just unlucky. The monitor is just out of warranty and its demise and the recent system changes could be nothing more than coincidence. Thanks in advance,

Steve.

EDIT - Drivers for 9800pro are Catalyst 4.3

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Simply sounds like your monitor power supply "bought the farm". The size problems and slow warm-up are clasical high voltage failures. Sorry.
  • edited July 2004
    I also have to go with Ed on this. It sounds like the monitor was just ready to die and it happening after the format was just a coincidence.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2004
    Ditto. Have a 1995 monitor from a compaq. Worked beautifully at 1024x768 for all these years. Then i changed it to 1152xwhatever and it's dying as i speak.
  • edited July 2004
    OK, thanks for the replies guys.

I'm expecting delivery of a Samsung SM753DFX anytime soon and hopefully it won't suffer the same fate. I can't help feeling a bit nervous though, as this thread left me a bit cold. After all, it is (or rather, was) only just 3 yrs old (not 9), is made by LG, and suffered no problems beforehand.

Anyway, let's see what happens.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    That problem was of questionable validity in the first place, and has long since been solved anyhow. :)
  • edited July 2004
    Thank you Thrax, hope you're right :)

Has anyone ever been quoted on repair costs, based on the symptoms I've outlined? Was it unrealistic? Please include Monitor cost/Repair cost ratio if possible,

Thanks again guys :thumbsup:
  • ipnobatisipnobatis London
    edited August 2004
    Hi everyone!

1st post, Exacly the same problem.... :bawling:

My system was running as smoothly as ever with....

Asus P4P800 (it has the audio and the ethernet onboard)
    P4@2400
    1Gb DDR (pc3200@400)
    GForce MX II 64MB
    couple scsi controlers with a 15k 18.1gig fujitsu and scsi DVD pioneer
    2xNEC DVDRWs
    Win XP Pro+sp1

BUT! about a month ago.. (almost the same time as "stevipop") I have installed a Sapphire ATI 9600 Pro Atlantis... And about a week ago the problems started...

I did a format just in case.. but that didnt solve anything.. The monitor, a "17' LG Flatron 795FT Plus" started to get crazy.... :banghead:
    I had to slow down the refresh rate because the screen flickers in high frequencies... I dont know if its the hot weather that affect it... but one thing is for sure...
    If u switch on the screen in the morning (which is supposed to be cooler) u can have about 20 minutes free-of-problems to do whatever u want.. play a game start scrolling really fast in the webpages... BUT after a while if u try to scroll down fast (or not that fast) in a webpage, then the screen just becomes black (but it hasnt switch off because the green led is on) and after 3 to 5 secs the screen appears again..
    It is starting to get really really annoying.... Does anyone, anyone at all have any idea (even the craziest one) of what to do? I have the screen for quite some time now and dont want to give it away..
    Currently I have 3 fans (which are powered from the pc!! :) ) 2 at the top and one at the bottom of the screen, trying to keep it cool....
    Is it really the heat that is killing my monitor??? :rarr:
    Room temperature didnt go more than 32C but i could fell that the screen was burning up..
    Should i just wait for the English "summer" to go away? :ukflag: (the weatherman said that rain is on the way..)
    If it is supposed to be hot in north london... is this monitor ever going to work in Tenerife? ;D

P.s.: Should i post this message as "new message" instead of replying here? please let me know for any solutions..