2100 tbred to a barton 3200 and i got newbed

MAGICMAGIC Doot DootFurniture City, Michigan Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
i just got a 3200 in the mail and slapped it in, went into the bios and changed it to stock speed and tried to boot into windows. it went to the error boot screen so i chose to boot to last known good condition, it would flash my load screen then just restart. did that a few times, reset bios, then i put my 2100 back in and it works fine! im running an abit nf7-s 2.0, gig of kingston hyper-x pc3200, 9800pro 256mb, water cooled. could the cpu be messed or does the mobo not support it? im gunna try to put it back in and see if it was just a weird glitch. any ideas

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    The NF7 should support any CPU that will fit in the socket.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    thats what i thought
    edited July 2004
    i took out a stick of ram, and it booted. so it must be a problem with dual channel. is there a way to dissable dual channel on the nf7s?
  • edited July 2004
    Yeah pop the sticks into the two same colored slots on the board.
    That'll put into single channel for certain as those are both on the same channel.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited July 2004
    are you sure your ram can run at PC3200 speeds at teh current volts? With the 2100+ they'd likely only be running 133 Mhz (synchronous). Its probably not ... but something to check.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Run memtest86 with the 3200 installed and set to stock with 3/3 or 6/6 divider in the bios.
  • hypermoodhypermood Smyrna, GA New
    edited July 2004
    What the others have said and note that you may need to increase the memory voltage beyond the default for the hyper-x to run reliably. I've used hyper-x and that is the only way I could get it running. Also, make sure that your PSU can handle the difference in the load from a 2100->3200 as it is significant.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Run memtest on one stick at a time. If you put the RAM in the two slots that are closest together, it's single channel. Like hypermood suggested, you may be running up against your PSU limit. It seems to me that the problem isn't single channel, but lies in the fact that you've got 2 sticks.

I have some Kingston HyperX and I have to run at 2.7V - if your PSU can handle it try to bump up the Vmem.
    edited July 2004
    the problem is with dual channel. when i put the sticks in the first and second slot theres no problem but when theyre in the 1st and 3rd its no good. i read something about the nf7 having problems with dual channel with 400fsb processors.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    ' wrote:
    [V][AGIC']the problem is with dual channel. when i put the sticks in the first and second slot theres no problem but when theyre in the 1st and 3rd its no good. i read something about the nf7 having problems with dual channel with 400fsb processors.

That's odd as I have 3 running 200fsb or more ATM.

I would still try running memtest on them individually. Then try increasing the dimm volt as mentioned.
    edited July 2004
    ok ill do that