Read about it - MSN tab and RSS/Trillian pro newsfeeds here!

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited March 2006 in Community
From a Spinner suggestion on This thread here :D and some intense testing, Im proud to announce Ver.1 of the short-media MSN 6 tab :D

For this version, it requires a simple manual installation (an installer is to come).

Installation Instructions - Win2k/XP are the only OS supported for the moment, 98/ME to come!

1) Make sure you can see hidden files and folders in Windows. Then move to step 2. If you haven't enabled hidden folders/files then follow the instructions below before moving to step 2...

Control panel ---> folder options ---> view

Scroll down the list until you find the heading "Hidden files and folders". Click on the "Show hidden files and folders" radio button. Then apply and ok.

2) Navigate in my computer to :

\Documents and Settings\< username >\applicationdata\Microsoft\MSN messenger\< MSN UID >

< username > = YOUR login in Windows (eg. Shorty)
< MSN UID > = Unless you use multiple MSN identities, you should have only one. If you have more than one, you will need to do this for each ID in turn.

Eg..

\Documents and Settings\shorty\applicationdata\Microsoft\MSN messenger\12345678

3) Open "ConfigCache.Xml" in notepad

4) At the very top find :

[php]
<MsgrConfig><Simple>
<Config>
<ExpiresInDays>1</ExpiresInDays>
</Config>
[/php]

and replace the 1 with 365

Then...

5) Find "< msntabdata >"

6) DIRECTLY underneath that word, insert this code...

[php]

<tab>
<image>http://www.short-media.com/forum/images/tab.png</image&gt;
<name>Short-Media.com Threads</name>
<tooltip>Hot Threads</tooltip>
<contenturl>http://www.short-media.com/forum/latest.php</contenturl&gt;
<hidden>false</hidden>
</tab>

[/php]

7) Save and close the file.

8) Restart MSN messenger 6 :) and enjoy your new tab!

You are done. Any problems/issues, please email me your ConfigCache.Xml file and Il fix it for you.

RSS Feeds

For those newsfeeder hounds or those with Trillian PRO (not standard :( I did check but its a trillian PRO only plugin)

RSS news
RSS hot threads

Those are the direct RSS feeds that server the frontpage. They will work in just about newsfeed reader or Trillian PRO with the RSS plugin.

Any questions/comments/suggestions/flamage, post them here. If you need assistance or get stuck.. post here and email your file :)

Im sorry its a manual install but the installer will come soon! Along with some more improvements.

Hope you enjoy! :thumbsup:

Comments

• hoojhooj Bournemouth, UK
    edited July 2003
    shorty I keep getting "page cannot be displayed errors" on the tab, any ideas?

Oh and well done of the brilliant job
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Sorry :o My bad!!

Try the new code I've just edited in. The board was parse the code and adding a URL that shouldn't be there :banghead:
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    hehe, thanks shorty, I was about to post that the code didn't seem to make too much sence ;) Thanks for the fix!
  • NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    Excellent job Shorty.

I got the same problem so I tried multiple times. Re-checked thread and you had edited the code so now it works.

Thanks, have a :beer:
    edited July 2003
    cool thanks shorty.

in the ConfigCache.Xml file you should also change the value between the 'ExpiresInDays' tags at the top to something a lot larger, otherwise messenger will reset the config back to normal in a day.
    edited July 2003
    hooj said
    cool thanks shorty.

in the ConfigCache.Xml file you should also change the value between the 'ExpiresInDays' tags at the top to something a lot larger, otherwise messenger will reset the config back to normal in a day.

Ive had this running for a few days during testing. Mine says "ExpiresInDays" 365 :D

What does your XML say?
    edited July 2003
    from default it said 1, but I've changed it to 365 as well :D
    edited July 2003
    Time for a quick code fix me thinks ;)

Thanks Hooj!

//EDIT// Change to stop 1 day expiration added //EndEDIT//
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    where do I find the rss plugin for trillian pro?
    edited July 2003
    QCH2002 said
    where do I find the rss plugin for trillian pro?

You can find that here

If that doesn't work, do a quick google. There are plenty of Trillian PRO plugin sites etc..

:)
    edited July 2003
    I have the plugin installed and and I configured the Custom Feeds but I don't see anything? (See picture for config)

What did I do wrong?
    edited July 2003
    Delete the existing configurations you have setup and redo them like this format :)
    rss.jpg 29.8K
    edited July 2003
    Thanks.... Works great!!!
    edited July 2003
    QCH2002 said
    Thanks.... Works great!!!

I do try :D
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    Doh! I can't seem to get mine to work. I get 'page can not be displayed'. I have no idea why, but I have two folder in my MSN Messenger folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan Scott\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger), one called '7641141262 the other 'spinner@zoom.co.uk'. I have edited both .xml files following the above instructions to no avail.

Any ideas? I sent you an email Shorty
    edited July 2003
    Email them both to me right now mate :)

shorty@NOSPAMshort-media.com (remove the nospam).
    edited July 2003
    Done.
    edited July 2003
    Spinner said
    Done.

Fixed and emailed back :)

I think you have a cached or expired version of this page, cause this was the bug mentioned earlier mate :banghead:

You did your bit right, just I had to update the original post, as Vbulletin insisted on adding URL's for some reason :rolleyes:
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Awight,

Does anybody else´s rss plugin create havoc in trillian pro?
    The newslist goes like a jojo up and down and never stop.

Bad rss?
    edited July 2003
    Mackanz said
    Awight,

Does anybody else´s rss plugin create havoc in trillian pro?
    The newslist goes like a jojo up and down and never stop.

Bad rss?

Let me have a look Mack :) It should be ok as the frontpage uses it. That's wierd :scratch:
    edited July 2003
    Shorty said

Fixed and emailed back :)

I think you have a cached or expired version of this page, cause this was the bug mentioned earlier mate :banghead:

You did your bit right, just I had to update the original post, as Vbulletin insisted on adding URL's for some reason :rolleyes:

Thanks man. Recieved and working great.:) :respect:
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Just tried it, works a treat. Good job that man, :thumbsup::respect::respect:
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Great friggin' job Shorty!!!!:thumbsup:
  • Red-DawnRed-Dawn Been kidnapped and being held hostage in Edinburgh
    edited July 2003
    Whats the refresh rate on the rss feed, my list worked great when it first gets the list but now when it refreshs or it appears to refresh i get the same list out. the order of the list never changes and if i check against the list on the frontpage most of the items arn't even there anymore
    edited July 2003
    Red Dawn said
    Whats the refresh rate on the rss feed, my list worked great when it first gets the list but now when it refreshs or it appears to refresh i get the same list out. the order of the list never changes and if i check against the list on the frontpage most of the items arn't even there anymore

Try reinstalling the plugin or restarting Trillian :)

I've just checked the feeds are working and they are working ok. The page should just refresh when you do mate ;)
  • Red-DawnRed-Dawn Been kidnapped and being held hostage in Edinburgh
    edited July 2003
    ok re-installed the plug-in and restarted trillian.

this is what i see now the forum page was updated just before i started trillian

sm1.jpg

Edit:: fixed the pic, not thinkin streight at all today
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited July 2003
    w00t! :)
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I just throught I'd let you know that the main web site, short-media.com is out of date. The Feeds block in the top left does not point to the correct RSS feeds to follow. I'm getting some old stuff when I point to that one. With the links found in here, I'm getting the latest and greatest.
    edited November 2003
    Im workin on it :)

The RSS/RDF parse code is not functioning, so Im trying to find a workaround for it ;)
  • SouriatSouriat Nottingham, UK
    edited November 2003
    Ohh didnt notice this before, just set it up in Miranda, quite handy :)