Best ways to optimise and make folding efficient and fast

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited July 2004 in Folding@Home
I would like any and all input on what I need to do to make my folding efficient and fast. I am running a P4 HT Northwood system and that is all I am interested in now, but comparisons are good too.

Some points of interest, gromacs vs folding cores, different core types, what's a tinker, what how and when info about tags, et cetera.

I know there was some information in the sticky, but I didn't really understand it, basically I need to be treated like I have never heard of these things. I have heard of them, just never understood them.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Types of work units:
    Tinkers: These work very well on Athlons.
    Gromacs: These work very well on Pentium 4s.

Preferred Tags:
    I get good production with -forceSSE -advmethods and -service on my Athlons. It makes sure that SSE is always being used (Fast), special extensions are being used (Also fast), and that it doesn't shut down when I log off (The -service flag).
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    Tinkers vs Gromacs. Tinkers use only the FPU or pure processing power of the CPU to do the work. Gromacs uses SSE so it does more work. Stanford made it so that tinkers and gromacs should be about the same ppd. Athlons have a lot better FPU so they are better with tinkers.

The flags Thrax mentioned are good ones to use.

If its an HT P4 run 2 clients, the second must be a console version. Put second client in its own folder. Use the -local switch as well as the others. Say yes to adv options when setting up and make sure to give it a machine ID of 2 since the first client will have an ID of one.
  • edited July 2004
    One other thing to mention and correct in Thrax's post. Use the -forceasm switch instead of -forcesse since the -forcesse switch was first implemented to give AMD procs the option to use SSE instead of 3DNow! instructions. This was implemented due to an errata that was found by running F@H on AMD machines and using SSE extentions on Gro work. Since this was implemented and the problem found, the client and core had a workaround built into the newer cores and this is no longer a problem with AMD machines. I imagine that Stanford will soon discontinue the use of the -forcesse switch altogether, since the problem has been fixed. :thumbsup:
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited July 2004
    how do I add the flags then? Wait, I figured this out, BUT... do you HAVE To have a short cut or can you do this to the actual program itself?

Can I also choose whether I want tinkers or gromacs? Is that the option when you first start the client up and type in your name, team, etc?

Is there any difference with the folding/genome option? Is one better than the other?
  • edited July 2004
    BUT... do you HAVE To have a short cut or can you do this to the actual program itself?

I've always used them on shortcuts, but I can't say how it's done when you install as a service as I've never set mine up that way. My rigs only use 1 profile and are never logged off. Someone who has the client running as a service can fill you in about that.
    Can I also choose whether I want tinkers or gromacs? Is that the option when you first start the client up and type in your name, team, etc?

No, there is no option to just run Gromacs. By running the -advmethods switch, you do seem to still get mostly Gromacs but it's not guarranteed.
    Is there any difference with the folding/genome option? Is one better than the other?

With GAH set in options, you will draw work with no deadline, Timeless Tinkers or Timeless Gromacs work. Presently the problem with that setting is that there are only a limited number of these timeless wu's in the pipeline, so you still have a good chance of getting regular production work, which includes plenty of Tinkers. You can get up to 10 wu's at a time with it set up with gah set, so I've heard. Since all my rigs have net access, I haven't set any clients to work under this option.
    edited July 2004
    Its a P4, I dont even know if the forceasm switch on a P4 will do anything.
    edited July 2004
    i want to do the advmethods though correct? Is that all then? I am interested in the service idea because the windows are annoying having open all the time, although I would like to check its progress from time to time to make sure its working alright, I have got a lot of errors. It even "went to sleep" once.

Also, no preference and FAH option won't matter then, just leave it as no preference?
  • edited July 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    Its a P4, I dont even know if the forceasm switch on a P4 will do anything.

Marc, it matters on a P4 just like on an AMD. If it gets shut down inappropriately, the next time the client starts it will start without using SSE/SSE2 unless you have -forceasm.
    edited July 2004
    But its SSE or nothing there is no middle like AMDs have. Its forcesse or nothing for P4s.
  • edited July 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    But its SSE or nothing there is no middle like AMDs have. Its forcesse or nothing for P4s.

True, there's no 3DNow! on Intel procs, but if you shut down an AMD without shutting the client being shut down first, it will start using no assembly optimizations, just like an Intel. The client doesn't default to using 3DNow!, it defaults to no optimizations.

The -forcesse switch came about soley due to the lockup problems some XP procs were having while using SSE to process gromacs work. Since not all XP's were affected, Stanford introduced the -forcesse switch to make the client use SSE instead of 3DNow!. Since they fixed that problem with the way the core was using SSE, there is no need for any proc to run 3DNow! if it also supports SSE. As a matter of fact, the support for the -forcesse switch has been dropped altogether in the beta version 5 client, so you better get used to using the -forceasm switch for in the future.
    edited July 2004
    I am feeling some mixed thoughts up there, so...

so in one simple list, which and all flags can be used which won't slow folding down on Intel, and on AMD (in a separate list)

And if I don't log off the computer than the -local won't help at all?

And does -service actually make it turn on automatically when the pc is started?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    D00D wrote:
    And does -service actually make it turn on automatically when the pc is started?
    yes ...it will automatically turn on and run on its own. You dont even need to log in.

As for the flags ...I only use -service on my amd.
    edited July 2004
    do I have to do anything special with the service tag? I put it on it and restarted the computer and it doesn't show high cpu usage, the the norm around the single digit percentages.

Basically, how would I go about setting up a service without 3rd party software on the P4 HT machine? I read one quide but in the command prompt I was supposed to type cd\fold and it said it couldn't find the directory.

I don't know if this should go in a new thread or if it can be resolved quickly, but I think I am good on the tag business, for the tweaks anyway. Anything that relates to the service I might need a brain refreshment for.
    edited July 2004
    try this and see if it helps http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=231607 ...the service flag alone does nothing ...it has to be installed first! :fold:
  • edited July 2004
    I only use the -service and -verbosity 9 flags on mine and they work just fine. The verbosity 9 flag makes more detailed logs but doesn't affect performance at all. The service flag only allows the console version to show up as a process and not an application. There are special instructions other than just adding a service flag to make it run as a process though.

KF
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited July 2004
    I use 4 different flags making my console run as a service. -service -local -advmethods and -verbosity 9.

The -service flag allows the client to keep running after you log off, but you must install it as a service for that to happen. You can use srvany to set up multiple clients, because programs like FireDaemon let you set up only 1 service if you use the free version.
    -verbosity 9 helps, because when you run it as a service the window isn't there, so looking into the log lets you see what you've missed, if anything goes wrong.
    -local makes the client work out of it's own directory. if you have multiple clients on one computer, this is required.
    edited July 2004
    csimon wrote:
    try this and see if it helps http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=231607 ...the service flag alone does nothing ...it has to be installed first! :fold:

Worked PERFECTLY from the start, great link! Now I might have to get my friends pc running it as a service, maybe when they arn't looking? :thumbsup: They are kind of against it because they don't unnderstand it and they think it slows the computer down.
    edited July 2004
    Okay, I thought I got all of that, but now I wonder...

How would I go about uninstalling the service? I would also like to point out that I stopped the service and started the folding up manually and it restarted at the zero mark again, does something like this normally happen? There was some error, too, on one of the 2 clients.
    edited July 2004
    D00D wrote:
    Okay, I thought I got all of that, but now I wonder...

How would I go about uninstalling the service? I would also like to point out that I stopped the service and started the folding up manually and it restarted at the zero mark again, does something like this normally happen? There was some error, too, on one of the 2 clients.

look in your folder for a file called remove_service.cmd

with the new core_78 v1.66 ...when you stop the client and then restart it always shows zero mark but the next mark usually shows the correct mark unless you just started afresh wu. So yes it may be normal.

What kind of error?
    edited July 2004
    I can't find that remove file, is it somewhere I may not have looked?

And with the restarting I lost my previous wu.

I forget the error, because I wanted to just fold, but I have never got it before for any other reason.