Time for a memory upgrade, suggestions?

lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
edited July 2004 in Hardware
Well, aside from a much needed video card upgrade, I'm thinking I'm light in the memory department. In my primary rig, I've got an AMD Barton 3000+ @3200+ 11x200. Mobo is an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe. When I originally bought the bulk of the parts, I made a hasty decision on the ram, and did not have much cash left over for a dual channel kit. The current memory I'm using is a single 512MB of PC3200 Kingston ram. I believe it is CL3. I have a general understanding of memory timings, but could certainly use some guidance :buck:

I'm currently running in single channel mode, as I only have one dimm. Are there large performance improvements as a result of going dual channel? What sort of a performance gain should I expect? Does anyone have any links to some good information on dual channel operation that I could read up on?

Would it be worth while looking into getting another 512MB stick like what I'm currently using? The timings are pretty cheese, but it would only cost me about $120CDN for another stick, which is nice.

I was looking at some of corsair's offerings, as well as OCZ and Kingston. I'm not sure how much I'm willing to spend yet, but I dont want to get too far outside the 'bang for the buck' margin. If I replace my current stick with a dual channel kit, what would you recommend for my platform? I wont likely be OC'ing further than 11x200, so I'd probably want the best timings at that speed.

Also, 512MB seems sufficient, but I'd like to step up to 1GB. I dont have any brand preferances. I've had good experience with corsair in the past, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    Dual channel wont get you much. Getting some RAM at CL2.0 might be more of a benefit. 1 gig is nice.:)
  • edited July 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    Dual channel wont get you much. Getting some RAM at CL2.0 might be more of a benefit. 1 gig is nice.:)

Good advice, and the very same thing I was going to say. You will see some performance gain by going DC, but you will see more of a performance gain by tightening the timings with a nf2 board. My advice is to buy a single 512 stick of good ram like XMS3200 C2 LL now and experiment with it by sticking it in with your present ram and running on the slow timings and then trying it in single channel mode with tight timings and see which performs better. You can always buy another matching stick for the fast ram later when you can afford it. The twin packs are nice, but it's not necessary for successful DC operation.
  • paroxymparoxym Toronto, Canada
    edited July 2004
    I'm by no means an expert when it comes to memory but I've had really good experiences with OCZ sticks. I'm currently running an old 512 stick of PC2700 EL at 2-3-2-6 @ 420 without any hiccups. :thumbsup:

I jumped on the DC boat there for a bit and scooped up OCZs Platinum PC3200 offering and was able to get it to run at the same timings as my current stick at slightly higher FSB (~425). Great performance but just wasn't worth the scratch I payed out for it at the time so back to the store it went.

That being said, I'm itching to move to a gig DC config at the moment and have been eyeing the some of the Optimized and Platinum pairs form OCZ. From past experiences I would give em a look. You will definately notice the jump to a lower set of timings... it's just a matter of putting up the dough (~400 CDN for a good 1GB kit)

I'm sure some else will chime in and give you some more specifics but that my .02 ;)

-pX
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    OCZ is generally regarded as a false advertiser, and a producer of poor-quality modules.

They've had their few wins, but overall, they tend to leave a poor taste in the mouth. I advise against them in favor of Corsair PC3200XL
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I would recomend either of the following and if you want to get the twin pack they are available also but not necessary to be run in D/C;

CORSAIR XMS CMX512-3200XL

Mushkin PC-3200 Black Hi Perf "222 Special"
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited July 2004
    Could someone tell me if it is required to have two identical sticks of memory with the same brand and model number to use Dual Channel?

Thanks.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    It's not required but it is <b>heavily suggested</b>.

Same speed, same brand, same size.