Best Pure Folding System

dancerdancer Blue Mountains, Australia
edited July 2004 in Folding@Home
Just checking to see how the new Celeron d's compete with the xp's and the durons for general folding performance.

Which of these combo's would be the best to add pure folding power to a farm.

1) Celeron 2.4 D = $114
128mb DDR 3200 = $36
PC Chips M925ALU Mobo = $59
Total = $209

2) Athlon XP2000+ = 90
128mb ddr = $36
PC Chips M863G Mobo = $59
Total = $185

3) AMD Duron 1800 + Spire HSF = $79
128mb ddr = $36
PC Chips M863G Mobo = $59
Total = $174

These are in Au.

Thanks.

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I should have a similar duron system in a few days...I'll let you know how it does.
  • edited July 2004
    Just checking things out, I see that the pc chips board for the AMD machines has no kind of adjustments, so if you aren't into trying pinmodding, it will rule out the XP2000+, I would think. If the 2000+ is a Tbred though, you could set it to read as a 166fsb proc by a simple pinmod. I'll attach a pic of the 166fsb pinmod here. If the 2000+ is pally or you wouldn't want to try the pinmod, then I'd say the Duron 1.8 would be better as it is a faster proc.

As far as the Celeron D goes, that's a bit of a mystery as I haven't heard a word on how well they fold yet. I do know that the Northwood Celerons fold like ass, but the New Pressie Celerons have double the L2 cache of the Northwoods, so I would imagine that they would fold quite a bit better than the older Celerons.

Here's the pins you need to jump with a fine wire set in the socket between the 2 holes if you want to pinmod so that the board would read that 2000+ as a 166 fsb proc. That would put it running at 2075 MHz, which shouldn't be a problem for a Tbred B 2000+ to run at:
  • dancerdancer Blue Mountains, Australia
    edited July 2004
    Thanks.
    I would be willing to try the pin mod, but i am happy to leave everything as stock.
    The xp is the latest version, super locked.
    Yeah the cel d's look interesting as they have twice the cache (as you said) and run on 133fsb.
  • edited July 2004
    Well, how do you feel about being a guinea pig, dancer? Get the Celeron D and let us know how it folds. :)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    Well cache doesnt do much at all and because of that celerons should fold the same as their P4 conterpart. Same thing goes for Durons/Athlons.

Since the Duron has the higher clock speed over the Athlon I would go for that. Plus its the cheapest.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    FYI: the durons are superlocked as well.
    edited July 2004
    well, i have got a cel d and i might swap it over from my cel 2.4 north.
  • edited July 2004
    I would still be willing to guess that the xp2000 would be the best folder out of them all. There isn't much of a price difference between the xp2000 and the xp2400's on newegg. I would have to say the biostar board is a good deal. I don't know if the pc chips board has onboard video or not. The biostar M7VKQ Pro does. But for pure comparisons I would think the xp2000 at stock would be the better folder than the other two. I'd like to see the comparisons though.

KF
  • edited July 2004
    That should make an interesting comparison then, dancer. Since you've already been folding with a northie celeron, you should be able to directly compare how much faster the pressie celeron is.
    edited July 2004
    well, good news.
    This has been online for bout 1hr with the new proc.

OLD: 12.14min / frame on current WU, 20:23.20 Total
    NEW: 07:39min / Frame on current WU, 12:45.00 Total

Running on an Abit SG-72, 512ddr, etc. Protien 602 p926_n909pf

So it has upped production by about 22%
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    Holy mackeral!!!