Got my new board from Epox, that didn't fix it!

pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
I recently sent out my Epox 8RDA+ board for busted caps. Got it back a few days ago and finally got to working on it today. Reinstalled everything booted it up and it was a no go. It pauses on boot code 26 (OCing code, clearning CMOS does nothing) and gives a long beep, then continues and gets to code 7F whose explanation makes no sense at all-

7F- Switch back to text mode if full screen is not supported.
-If error occurs, report errors and wait for keys.
-If no error occurs or F1 key is pressed to continue.
-Clear EPA logo.....

WTF is that? Anyways, I yanked it all out of the case and hooked it up sitting on the box with minimal hardware, and it still does it. If I hit F1 it goes to FF but I have nothing on the screen. I can hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and reboot it, but it still gets nothing, and I can hit del alone and it seems like it was going into the bios, but still nothing on the screen. I can try and clear the cmos, but if I let it sit clearning the cmos, it sets off the temp siren (is that normal?) and it still doesn't get it to work correctly. I got it to boot once and got the bios, then let it start to boot into windows but then I shut it off to hook the DVD and FD back up. After that I wasn't able to repeat the boot with any hardware combination.

I'm out of ideas now so I was hoping to get some from you guys. I'm starting to wonder what got hurt when the caps went so that means it could be a mem problem, HD problem, vid problem or processor problem. So far I haven't been able to rule any of those because I can't take down my main rig for a few days.

Comments

• pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Just got it to boot for some reason, didn't do anything, just turned it on, then turned on the monitor, hit del and bios it is. I did notice one weird thing though, the num lock light was on on the keyboard, but the computer was off. Strange.
    edited July 2004
    Ok, I think I figured it out; its the connection between my Vid Card and the AGP slot. I can boot it with the card bent to one extreme of the slot and it doesn't work, then to the other, and it doesn't work again, but If I hold it right in the dead center of the slot (Obviously where its supposed to be) it works fine. No idea why it is causing this issue, why my case can cause it, and why it is not causing an AGP boot code. It must be causing a short somehow.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I've found that the three EPoX boards I owned had AGP slots that were slightly off to maintain a comfortable, and bootable fit. It sucked.
    edited July 2004
    Yeah, it has a lot of freeplay which probably caused this condition. It seems there was some corrosion on the pins of the card. A little fingernail action cleaned it up. Tighter tolerances of the AGP slot might fix an issue like that.