NF7-S 2.0 Memory weirdness

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
Maybe I'm just a n00b, but here's the situation:

I have Corsair TwinX XMS3200 in dual channel (512mb total)

I have an NF7-S 2.0 Bios 23

I have a mobile barton 2600+ , currently at 210x11 (2300mhz). Temps are perfectly fine.

I have memtest+ 1.15

__

okay, on to the weirdness.

If i set my timings to something like 2/2/2/11, I get thousands of errors on test #3 (8 bit pattern test). If i tell the mobo to use SPD, I get 3/4/4/9, and I can go through the whole suite with no errors, BUT ONLY SOMETIMES. For example, I let it run for an hour. I got 2 passes with no errors, but then on test 5, I got a mere 2 errors. Then it will go for 3 more passes, but on the seventh pass, it'll error again, at a different address. It's always random.

I had an additional stick of ram in there, cause I wanted more than 512mb of ram. I was using a stick of Buffalo PC3200. I think it wasn't perfectly compatible with the corsair, cause I would get errors no matter what. If I run that stick alone, no errors.

I'm not familiar with voltages. Should I be cranking up the ram voltage or something? I know that the recommended timings are 2/2/2/11 but I just can't run it without errors at those speeds.

Help me short-media! :ukflag: :Canflag:

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2004
    raise the voltage. 2.7, 2.8 ... those'd both do you fine
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    If you're getting errors at 2/2/2, you either need to raise the voltage, or relax the timings. If you're getting errors on all timings, raise the voltage. 2.7/2.8 as said sounds good.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I was at 2.7. I just raised it to 2.8 and we'll see how it goes.
    edited July 2004
    okay, i spoke too soon. At 2.8 the SPD timings are 3/4/3/7 and I got 7 errors on test five.... all random spots.
    edited July 2004
    Is it in dual channel? If so, take it out of dual channel for the time and try memtest at 3/4/3/16 w/ 2.8v at 200MHz.
    edited July 2004
    I must be dumb, but there is no "16" -- the closest I can get is 3/4/3/15....

:wtf:
    edited July 2004
    Put it at 15 then. Heh. Most nf2 boards allow 16, so it was a general suggestion.
    edited July 2004
    In single channel at 3/4/3/15, no errors

In dual channel at 3/4/3/15, errors.

:grr:
    edited July 2004
    Don't worry about dual channel. There are no redeeming benefits from using it. The physical latency is higher, and there is no bandwidth increase.

Leave it off dual channel and try lowering the timings back to 2/2/2/11.
    edited July 2004
    whoa

2/2/2/11 in single channel @ 200mhz FSB = 377 errors on test 2..

:(

Is my ram shot? It's weird that at loose timings there are generally no errors in memtest...
    edited July 2004
    Try 2/3/2/11.
    edited July 2004
    2/3/2/6 @ 200mhz = zero errors.

Now, the problem is, if I bump my fsb back up to 210, will I get errors again :(

/me goes to try
    edited July 2004
    3/4/3/7 @ 210mhz = zero errors.

This is so confusing.
    edited July 2004
    Maybe your memtest isn't as infallible as you had once thought it?
    edited July 2004
    well it's not just memtest that I've been using to test it. The reason I got to this point is because the computer is terribly unstable, with random reboots, etc. On friday I decided to do a complete reinstall and then I was getting the famous bluescreen at windows install problem... Which almost always means bad mems. :(

I can't install windows is the real problem. If i get the memory tightened up, it will install, but the errors are inconsistent :(
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Boink it down to 166, do you still get errors?
    edited July 2004
    The diminutive admin makes a good suggestion.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2004
    what about if you ran the stick of buffalo 3200 with each of the corsairs?
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Brian, The NF7 is incredible picky on memory i'm afraid. Half of the boards ot there absolutely hates anything with winbond-made sticks. I think your Corsair is winbond. Put them on another computer capable of 200+ fsb and test them. If they fail, rma them.
    edited July 2004
    That's peculiar as I have 5 NF7-S boards in my house and all of them have Winbond Corsair, and none of them have a problem.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I actually thought of you when i wrote that post, and your boards would be on that other half. Both my NF7 won't work satisfying with winbond. Been through the lot of bioses. Twice.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    My NF7 was a bitch when I tried adding 2 256 sticks of Corsair BH-5 to my already PC3500 512 stick of Kingston. I only wanted to run 200MHz. I had to reorganize the sticks until I got the right combo.

So try different slots. Any 2 will do.
    edited July 2004
    Mackanz wrote:
    I actually thought of you when i wrote that post, and your boards would be on that other half. Both my NF7 won't work satisfying with winbond. Been through the lot of bioses. Twice.

I guess I am the other half. :celebrate
    edited July 2004
    Well, it seems stable so far (windows at least) at 200x11 3/4/3/6 in slots 1 & 2 (single channel) I haven't run memtest overnight like I did last night, so I'm sure there's still gonna be a problem, but I absolutely had to work today, so I couldn't continue testing. Currently Windows is installed, it's folding, and we'll see how it is in the morning....