Windows ME folding? Service folding on Windows ME?

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited July 2004 in Folding@Home
Would anyone recommend to or not-to fold on an older Windows ME machine? I tried it once a long time ago and it might have slowed the pc down, but now I forget. This was a friends computer so I can't really test it right now. The computer specs are: Dell, 933mhz PIII, 128 Dell no name memory, and I don't know anything else relevant to this topic.

Also, if you think it is good to fold on this machine, is there a way to set up a service on it? Its different than setting it up on Windows XP correct?

I am wondering this from you guys' opinions simply because the less I talk about folding with my friend and the quicker I can be with setting it up, the happier the friend will be.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2004
    I've got an Athlon 850 and a K6-2/550 which both reliably turn in points. They are slow, so don't expect a ton of points. (The 550 even completed one of those 239-point monsters, though it took about 12 days...) They won't slow your system down at all; as with fast cpu's, Folding will nimbly step aside when the cpu is needed for other tasks.

If you want it quick and easy with "less talk, more Folding", just use the graphical interface. I think that's going to be your only choice, anyway.

Make sure it's Team 93! :)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    I know firedaemon wont work since its not an NT machine. What about the svarney service installer?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Nope, Windows 98 kernel doesn't really have services as such, so no service installer is going to work.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    So I guess a Task schedular is the best way to get it to start up all the time then.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited July 2004
    Is the scheduled task as easy to setup in Windows ME as it is in XP for a non windows related program like folding?

And if I set this up, can I still hide the program from being in the bar at the bottom? This must be free and fairly simple to setup.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2004
    It will show up in the System Tray (now referred to as the "Notification Area"), down by the clock. One tiny icon among many (unless your friend is better than most at avoiding that sort of clutter). It will not use a spot on the taskbar.

Sorry for asking, but you're not trying to sneak one in on him, are you? :buck:
    edited July 2004
    ummm... actually no not really, he knows about it and has had it running with it on, he just isn't into it and doesn't support it, and he insists it slows the computer down when in fact it is all due to A: Dell or Compaq B: Windows ME C: spyware/adware and D: P3 933mhz with little ram, well... 128 isn't really little, but it's little. The thing is he won't turn it on when he starts his computer, and his brothers won't either. It's a shared computer so it makes it that more difficult to get running. It also isn't on 24/7, but between everyone that uses it it's pretty close.

So, from my understanding, I just set it as a scheduled task from the control panel to turn on when the computer starts and it will do so, but stay hidden in the icons down by the clock and not show up in the task bar with a window that can open. This is all correct then? Will this work with any of the types of clients, both graphical and "no nonsense...?" I only have and only have used the "no nonsense text only" client. It won't be a problem with the text only client correct?
    edited July 2004
    I tried the scheduled task thing with the text version and it showed the text window, which I thought it would. I then got rid of that and downloaded the graphical client and put it on scheduled task, not realizing it already starts automatically with windows so I got an error after rebooting that an instance was running and that it had to close the new instance. It took me 2 full reboots to 100% come to the conclusion that I needed to get rid of the scheduled task. I did and now it starts up when windows starts, but only with a protein icon in the lower right corner!

I just hope the graphical client isn't going to slow it down!!! It referring to folding. I started it around 8:40 PM and last checked around 1:30 AM (about 5 hours) and it still shows that it is at 0/400 steps!!! I checked the log and it says this WU is due October 21 I think it was!!! Should I be expecting such long waits??? To remind you this is a 933mhz Intel cpu.