Canon i900D Photo Printer Review (informal)

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Internet & Media
I bought a Canon i900D photo printer today.

The quality is astounding.

I mean astounding. I am very impressed, and I don't impress easily.

It uses 6 seperate cartridges, thus preventing the "omg the yellow is out so now we have to throw away the color cartridge to buy a new one" syndrome. If yellow runs out, you replace yellow.

It has a built in card reader, with a 2.5" color LCD screen and decent "rotate/crop/simple color correct" software built in. It doesn't even need to be hooked up to a computer.

I paired it with Google's free Picasa software, what a hella combo. It's so easy, I think even my dad could use this.

I am very impressed. Total cost: $294, and that includes 6 extra color cartridges, an extended warranty, a ream of bright inkjet 8.5x11 paper and a 50pack of 4x6 photo plus paper (canon brand).

The printer alone is $189. I highly recommend it if you are in the market for a photo printer.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Canon makes INCREDIBLE printers. I have the Canon i850 in my home and we compared a professional digital photo print to our printer and it's indestinguishable.

Mine's a four cartridge CMYK printer. What are the other two on your printer aside from cyan, magenta, yellow and black?
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited July 2004
    I've got an I900D as well, its a sweet printer. My only complaint is no SD card slot (we're an SD household). We got it for "free" using airmiles, its definitely a damn nice printer though and well worth the money. If you don't want the LCD and such the I950D is actually a little cheaper (IIRC) and has double the print heads. Either way the quality is still awesome and the price/performance on ink is outstanding.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    We have a Canon i850 and it's God damned astounding. I used it to print off pictures for my portfolio to show people for work, and I strongly believe it had a part in helping me get work.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    Does changing the cartridge change the printer head on cannon's? HPs do. I have always been an HP fan myself, mainly for other reasons than quality tho.
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I have a Cannon S750, have had it for about 2+ years. I have been waiting for it to give me some reason to replace it with the 900. It has not. I use the 750 for my business. It has had at least 10,000 sheets of paper through it. I use it to print all my instruction sheets and invoices and any other "printing" needs a small business has. It just won't quit.
    It uses a seperate print head and individual ink "tanks" ( This is awesome) I have not ever bought a replacement ink tank. I buy ink by the pint from this place http://www.global-inks.com/canonink.htm It only takes a couple of minutes to refill a cartridge. I have never had a problem. Global ink sells ink by manufacturer and offers photo grades. And it is cheap. I used to use HP printers but never again. They should give the printers away for what they charge for inkjet cartridges !

Inktank refill tip. After filling and plugging, let the tank drip untill it stops ( usually only 1 or 2 drops.) this will create a slight negative pressure in the tank. And won't make a mess in the printer.

Go get a canon printer !

Scott
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    The two extra inks are "photo cyan" and "photo magenta" - basically a light cyan and light magenta. The extra colors make for more realistic flesh tones, I believe.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Gotcha. Thanks! :) Cyan and magenta do indeed make fleshtones, so you're probably right.