Computer won't power up

WeedoWeedo New
edited July 2004 in Hardware
I had some extra parts laying around so I thought I'd get the few things I was missing and throw together a backup system for myself. Didn't want to spend a lot of money so I got this motherboard from Newegg. Threw it all together and it wouldn't power up. Zip, nada, nothing. RMA'd the sucker (motherboard). Same with the replacement. I tried all combinations of plugging in to the power header that made sense.

I guess my question is... assuming everything is hooked up right, what else can cause failure to power up.

Power supply: known to be good.
Memory: If it was bad it might not post but should at least power up.
Video card: brand new retail package, haven't got to try it yet.
Motherboard: It's a cheapie. I guess I could have gotten 2 bad ones.
CPU: could a bad cpu cause failure to power up? I'm pretty sure it's good though it's been laying around for a while.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-185-010&depa=1

Comments

• gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited July 2004
    try removing the board from the case

then try booting it up
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Just by following your link, there was a guy that left the following comment:

cybershaman,7/28/2004 4:34:40 PM

First off - you will need to locate two jumpers on the MoBo - one for clearing the CMOS and another one for limiting the FSB.. they seem to be alright if you follow the manual, but will have to switch them anyway - whoever was putting those jumpers was soooo wrong!
    After you put CMOS jumper at position Clear CMOS - miracle! - your board now starts, then, if you plan to have a decent speed on this board - you will have to switch FSB jumper - now, go to your BIOS and put CPU clock 166! Pair it up with AMD Duron1400 (Applebred) - and you will get ~2.0GHz (166x12)
    [One downside though - I could not update the BIOS to recognize new Duron due to manufacturer's faulty .BIN files, so it now says - Unknown CPU +2400, oh, well ..]

*shrugs* Worth a try I guess.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited July 2004
    Well blow me down... it worked!! Thanks!! I put the cmos jumper in the clear position just like that dude said and it fired right up. Usually when all else fails you read the instructions. I read the instructions and :banghead:

I'll be sure to read those comments from now on.