Rather strange problem with Win2KPro, please help

R3-XinoenR3-Xinoen San Antonio, TX, USA
edited August 2004 in Hardware
I do admit that this problem may end up rather vague, or something I may have overlooked... But I'd really like to get my system back to being usable for more than 30 minutes so I can get back to finishing images for work, and get back to folding. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

So the other day, I posted a problem in the Spyware Forum about TV Media and its components giving me grief. I no longer get annoying popups and random instances of explorer.exe crashing as often, but now I'm plagued by a different problem. When I boot up my machine normally, sometimes the display will flash black for about one half - one second (this doesn't act like a normal refresh), and there will be a garbled mess of text and images on the screen as an after image. If it gets particularly bad, the black flashing problem will reoccur several times in succession, and leave me unable to view anything on the monitor, since no menus are showing on the display; just a mess.

The computer boots up fine in Safe Mode, and I was able to clear out the remnants of TV Media (a couple files I had overlooked in the Temp directories; an updater and a dll to go along with it). Since I've done that, my system hasn't flashed black as often, but it still occurs every once in a while when I'm switching over to a different window or program. Would any of you guys possibly have any advice for me other than wiping and reinstalling?

The specs for the system having problems are as follows (if it helps at all):
AMD Duron 950 (Not overclocked)
256 MB SDRAM
Gigabyte Mobo (Most-recent corresponding BIOS has been flashed/installed)
WD 80 GB IDE HD
Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4
NVIDIA GeForce 4 Ti (Drivers updated 7/12/2004)

Comments

• xTc---JackalxTc---Jackal Akron, Ohio
    edited August 2004
    hmmm I'm guessing that you need to reinstall or rollback your video card drivers, the reason i say this is because you can boot just fine in "Safe Mode" which only loads minimal amount of drivers just enough to get your system up and booted. If that does not fix it, your pwoer supply could be going bad, have it tested by a professional, don't try it yourself unless you have been trained to do so. Next, make sure your system isn't suffering from card creep, which means the video card could be creeping out of its AGP slot just barely, causing a bad connection.

I think, personally, that one of the things I mentioned is probably the case, although viruses these days can probably cause anything to happen, so make sure its not that. If none of these things I mentioned worked, please let me know....
  • xTc---JackalxTc---Jackal Akron, Ohio
    edited August 2004
    ONE MORE THING, try switching video cards with one you know works just fine, or maybe even add ram or try switching out the ram with known good ram....