Windows Media or Winamp?

TheHandofGodTheHandofGod Ft Lauderdale, FL
edited July 2004 in Internet & Media
As much as you may think otherwise, Winamp is the ultimate god of general audio playback within Windows. Windows Media Player doesn't even come close. Unfortunately Our good friend TheGr81 is one of many victims of Microsoft. He is dead set against Winamp. For some reason he believes that WMP is better even though Winamp has superior sound quality, visualitations, and playlist orginization. Not to mention the hundreds of different plugins you can get to expand the gap between the two players. Basically the point of this whole topic is to get a consensus. I want to know about how many of you people prefer Winamp over WMP. And maybe some of you can even do what I have failed to do... Talk some sense into the afore mentioned victim... :banghead:

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    A poll would've been nice. As for sound quality, Foobar's better :p
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I basically use winamp for music, WMP for movies.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    WMP was designed for movies. Music is an afterthought.
    Winamp was designed for music. Movies were an afterthought.

You do the math.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2004
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2004
    Winamp doesn't support subtitles. thus it is not useful for movies. WMP doesn't have a "jump to" feature like winamp does, thus it is not useful for music

case closed
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited July 2004
    I don't ever notice any difference in sound quality. Call me an idiot. Or maybe I'm just not an audiophile. I like the UI of WMP better, and I like the presets for the graphic equalizer. While there are many visualizations there are for Winamp, I can never find one I like. When I do find one I like, I still find WMP to be better. Again, call me an idiot.
    Unfortunately Our good friend TheGr81 is one of many victims of Microsoft.
    It's not Microsoft's fault I like their player better.
  • TheHandofGodTheHandofGod Ft Lauderdale, FL
    edited July 2004
    If you insist... Idiot... :D
    edited July 2004
    1. Winamp has presets for a graphical equalizer. Over a dozen of them.
    2. Do you just turn on music and stare at the visualizer for hours?
    3. Winamp + Geiss, dude.
    edited July 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    1. Winamp has presets for a graphical equalizer. Over a dozen of them.
    2. Do you just turn on music and stare at the visualizer for hours?
    3. Winamp + Geiss, dude.
    1. I know winamp has presets, I just like WMP's better, and I find it to be a PITA to adjust them.
    2. Why not?
    edited July 2004
    Well, it's just.. Odd. Most people just turn on the music and go do their thing, I've never actually heard of anyone turn on music and stare at the vizualization for hours..

It just seems like, a waste of time? I'm not sure what else I can say.. It just passes as peculiar to me.
    edited July 2004
    Well I usually do go "do my own thing" but when there's nothing else to do... It's a good waste of time.
    edited July 2004
    Ok, lets say you do just stare at your visualizations. Winamp's are far superior and have greater numbers. You can do so much with Winamp's visualizations, especially with a good video card, whereas with WMP you only have the 8 preset categories and a few bland subcategories. Not to mention the fact that if you want to go and "do your thing" you can set the visualization to your desktop, allowing you to do both. I think the only reason you like WMP player better is because you never had the initiative to explore Winamp. Have you even tried 5.x?
    edited July 2004
    Winamp + Geiss!
    edited July 2004
    Geiss?
    edited July 2004
    Geiss is one of the best visualization plugins in the world. It puts integrated visualizations in WMP and Winamp to shame.