How do I Join?

TroganTrogan London, UK
edited July 2004 in Folding@Home
How do I Join? I would like to join but i'm not sure what to download and what would I be doing when I join?

Thanks

Comments

• TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited July 2004
    Hi, When I try to search for a username I get an error message:

"There was an error accessing/using the database.
    Description: error opening wwwrun@vspx30.stanford.edu:stats
    Please send this error message and the conditions under which it was caused to the F@H researchers.
    Thank you. "

Shall I carry on and download the Clients to join?

Thank You
  • edited July 2004
    How do I Join? I would like to join but i'm not sure what to download and what would I be doing when I join?

Thanks

thanks for considering running the Folding@Home project with us, Trogan_1000. :)

If you go here, you will find where to download the client and also set it up and monitor it, if you feel like doing that. Also, If you have specific questions, just start a thread here and we'll gladly help you out. :thumbsup:

hotnheavyd and vanagon40, thank you both for joining up with the cause and helping us find answers to basic research into the misfolding of proteins. :thumbsup: If you have any questions, please post them up. :D

:smokin:
  • edited July 2004
    Hi, When I try to search for a username I get an error message:

"There was an error accessing/using the database.
    Description: error opening wwwrun@vspx30.stanford.edu:stats
    Please send this error message and the conditions under which it was caused to the F@H researchers.
    Thank you. "

Shall I carry on and download the Clients to join?

Thank You

Stanford is having some problems with their stats servers this morning and that's probably why you can't find if your folding name is already in use. With that said, if you choose a username such as Trogan_1000, the odds are that nobody else is using it. :) Go ahead and download and set her up. :D
    edited July 2004
    Hi, i'm sorry about this but what do I need to download. Is it the 'Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP Graphical client ', 'Windows NT/ 2000/XP Only
    Screensaver' or the 'Windows 98/ME/NT/ 2000/XP
    "No-nonsense" text-only console' Thank You
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited July 2004
    Hi, i'm sorry about this but what do I need to download. Is it the 'Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP Graphical client ', 'Windows NT/ 2000/XP Only
    Screensaver' or the 'Windows 98/ME/NT/ 2000/XP
    "No-nonsense" text-only console' Thank You
    Welcome aboard!! "No Nonsense" Go For IT! Jack
    edited July 2004
    Thank You :)
    edited July 2004
    I'v Downloaded The 'No-Nonsense' Text Only Console. What happens now? Do I need to do anything?
  • hotnheavydhotnheavyd Katy, TX
    edited July 2004
    does the dos console run faster??? I've played with both...and it feels like the dos is faster. maybe Im smoking the crack rock. :buck:
  • edited July 2004
    hotnheavyd wrote:
    does the dos console run faster??? I've played with both...and it feels like the dos is faster. maybe Im smoking the crack rock. :buck:

They will both run around the same speed as long as you keep the graphical version minimized. Drawing the proteins slows down the gui version a bit though when you have it open.

Trogan_1000, now that you have downloaded the console client, you will need to configure it the first time it's run. Attached will be a sample pic of setting the console up, just substitute your folding name in for "muddocktor" and set the machine ID to "1" instead of 3. Also, if you don't want to run the console as a service like me, you will need to download an app called TrayIt! , which you unzip into a folder and then run and set up. This app will then put the console into the system tray and get it off the toolbar. I will also attach a pic of TrayIt!'s setup for you.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    Split thread.
    edited July 2004
    Hi.

Thanks Muddoktor for your help.

After I downloaded the 'No-Nonsense' Text Only Console, several items appeared on my desktop, do I keep them or can I delete them?

Do I need to download anything else?

Thanks
    edited July 2004
    I downloaded TrayIt. What does it do and how do I use it?

Thank you
  • edited July 2004
    I downloaded TrayIt. What does it do and how do I use it?

Thank you

What it does is take the console client version off the taskbar when minimized and puts it down into the system tray by the clock. What I do is to unzip TrayIt into a folder I called "Trayit"(I know, very original ;) ) and then run the program and set it up with all the options checked, including the one that starts TrayIt when the computer starts. These settings are under Configure. Then, click on the "Windows" folder in the configure section of TrayIt and then you will see the windows apps you have running, including the console client and right click on the console client and choose "place in system tray", then ok everything out and choose "continue using TrayIt" and you are done setting it up. This will run in the background while your computer is running and place any console type window into the system tray when minimized including a command prompt, so don't freak out if you have a command prompt running and you minimize it as it will iconify and place it in your system tray also. Any program that TrayIt has put in the system tray can be maximized by clicking on it's icon in the system tray.

I hope this explanation helps you out. :)
    edited July 2004
    Thanks muddoktor. At first I was confused but after reading your guidelines on TrayIt, it helped me.

After I downloaded the 'No-Nonsense' Text Only Console, several items appeared on my desktop, do I keep them or can I delete them?

Thank You
  • edited July 2004
    Thanks muddoktor. At first I was confused but after reading your guidelines on TrayIt, it helped me.

Thank You

Are you talking about the console client and the TrayIt.zip file perhaps? If you can tell us what they are, then we can tell you if it's ok to delete them. :)
    edited July 2004
    I got 'FAHlog.txt', 'MyFolding.html', 'Work' Folder, 'Queue.dat', 'FahCore_78.exe' and 'unitinfo.txt'.

These are the things which have appeared on my desktop after downloading 'No-Nonsense'.

Thanks

Do I need to download anything else? :Rocker: :cool:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    No, you need to Move all those files into its own folder like C:\FAH or C:\Progam Files\FAH.

Do NOT keep it on your desktop.
    edited July 2004
    I'v moved the files into a new folder. Thanks for your help.

Is there anything else which I may possibably need?
  • edited July 2004
    Did the client make the transistion OK?

If you want to be able to easily track what the folding console is doing, then I would advise you to install Electron Microscope III (EMIII). Go to the download page at www.em-dc.com and download the EMIII zip file. Then make a folder and call it EMIII or something like that and unzip the contents of EMIII there. Then, click on the EMIII.exe file and follow the setup. There are also directions on how to set up and configure EMIII on the download page at the em-dc website, which I highly recommend that you download and read. It should answer any questions you may have about installing and running EMIII.
    edited July 2004
    Hi, I'v download the EM III. I'v read the information on the website but is it possible if you could tell me what to EXTRACT (i'm using WinRAR) please.

Thank You :)