HELP PLZ...comp wont boot up

edited May 2006 in Hardware
Im new at all this pc stuff so this was kinda stupid, Anyways..
I was wondering thru bios when i went into the pcu options and changed a speed from 133 to 166 ( I think thats what i have done)
Anyways, I exited an stupidly saved (i was in a rush)
then pc rebooted no it wont start at all, well the pc is running but with no signs of life.......... i tried clearing cmos and taking out battery for 24 hour no sign of post...................tried doin this too http://www.short-media.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94392&postcount=20 ............please help any info needed i can give any help would be great............................

Comments

• edited July 2004
    u think my mobo or cpu is fried? i dont think so cuz it wuz workin till i did that stupid thing in the bios...
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    IF the CMOS battery gets fully discharged then the motherboard may not post at all. Walmart-- get a cheap CR2032 coin cell, take the old one with you if needed, spent under $2.00, and with computer unplugged still, put new CMOS battery in, then clear CMOS (leave in clear for one minute, not much more), and leave the J10 jumper set to safe mode settings.

Now Plug in power cord and try to see if machine comes alive. If not, motherboard probably bad now, but keep CMOS battery as same CMOS battery can be used in LOTS of computers and on lots of motherboards.

Exceptions still to motherboard being bad, partly unseated RAM or CPU or Video card or any other card, or dust and dirt or hair in sockets or lots of gunk in CPU Heat Sink fins can cause a post failure. Air can, clean out well without touching anything with tip of air can sprayer. Check power connections, make sure connectors are on tight, also, with power off. I'd get a tech to look at it if battery does not work and you do not have a tech as a friend. Good Luck.
  • edited July 2004
    how do u set the J10 jumper to safe mode setting?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    It will help to know the compete specs of your system. Motherboard + RAM + CPU + power supply, especially.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2004
    This is the J10jumper, which will set the fsb to 100 mhz when in safe mode.. short pins 2-3 and "user settings"(default) if you short pins 1-2.

The "safe mode" jumper is placed just behind the USB connectors on the mother board.
    If it's not obvious which pins are 1-2-3 let us know and I'll see if I can come up with a picture. :)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    shwaip wrote:
    It will help to know the compete specs of your system. Motherboard + RAM + CPU + power supply, especially.

He did in another user's thread, but was asked to start a new thread. Let me find the old one for you....

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showpost.php?p=166228&postcount=22

He has the same mbo as inzY: MSI: K7N2 Delta+ nForce2 ultra. inzY fixed his as outlined in last post in thread 166228. Possible this poster has a dead CMOS battery, on the shelf they can last four-five years, but in use with many clears or not much use, maybe 3 is more like it-- when computers are on, motherboard power can be used for clock if things are wired right, then 4 years in use can be common if the Clock\CMOS contacts do not get ground-shorted by something like a loose screw in exactly the wrong place.

I've seen new ones ship with CMOS enabled from original reseller or mfr, and seen them part or totally discharged on arrival. I stock qty 50 of those for my business, half the no-posts or weird acting computers get fixed with a new CMOS cell and a clear, followed by a post and a reprogramming of settings to what is needed.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    July 19, 2004 10:37 AM
    I am somewhat of an ICEMAN when it comes to tech.

Hi John! Nice suggestions. Glad you could come back as "Straight Man" like you said you would when you flipped out over random avatars. How nice of you to evade the ban you requested.

It's a pity they deleted the post, as I could also show clear evidence of you stating that you would come back as "Straight Man." But, apparently you're good on your word.

And above all, even this new ban-free incarnation of yourself couldn't resist saying "MFR" could it? Dead giveaway, dude.
  • edited July 2004
    mobo MSI:K7N2 Delta,
    512 kington pc2700
    geforce 4 Mx440
    1.8ghz
  • edited July 2004
    i tried changin battery for cmos and clearing it ..........still no sign of post............can my motherboard be dead? or cpu?
  • edited July 2004
    everything turns on ... except the monitor
  • edited July 2004
    i FINALY got it to work lol i pulled out the J10 jumper and turn on comp and it work..........thx guyz for helping......
  • edited July 2004
    hey guys umm... 1 more question............i bought an amd 2200+ suppose to be 1.8ghz but shows up 1.3ghz......i know ur suppose to change somthin in the bios but im not sure how...........can somone show me step by step....never done this b4 that y my comp didnt post b4 lol......thx
    edited July 2004
    You need to set your FSB to 133MHz.

When you FIRST turn your computer on, hit delete rapidly to enter the BIOS. A blue screen will come up.

At that blue screen, go to ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES on the left side of the screen. Change system performance to MANUAL and set the "CPU FSB Clock" to 133MHz.
  • edited July 2004
    i change it to 133mhz and it should be 1.8ghz?
  • edited July 2004
    it already at 133 mhz
    edited July 2004
    Then you'll have to set your multiplier to 13.5 or 14x.

Go to the Frequency/Voltage Control menu and set your CPU ratio to 13.5 or 14x.
  • edited July 2004
    So i Go to the Frequency/Voltage Control menu and set your CPU ratio to 13.5 or 14x.
    ...it say on my bios BY H/W X=13.0 and that the max...do i do that? and wat about cpu vcore select? sorry for all the noobish question and thx for helpin guyz
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    lvcxfuzzy wrote:
    So i Go to the Frequency/Voltage Control menu and set your CPU ratio to 13.5 or 14x.
    ...it say on my bios BY H/W X=13.0 and that the max...do i do that? and wat about cpu vcore select? sorry for all the noobish question and thx for helpin guyz
    Possibility that that is the maximum multiplier that board goes to :)

Il go look at their site
    BRB
    edited July 2004
    The board is nForce2 Ultra 400-based. It can run up to a 24x multiplier.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    The board is nForce2 Ultra 400-based. It can run up to a 24x multiplier.
    Thank you for finding it. MSI site tells me nowt :rant:
  • edited July 2004
    thx alot guys i got mah cpu to run at 1.8ghz now..........thx thrax and shorty!
  • sensationsensation Guyana
    edited May 2006
    lvcxfuzzy wrote:
    i FINALY got it to work lol i pulled out the J10 jumper and turn on comp and it work..........thx guyz for helping......

:headbange yada, seems to be workin for everybody...what if my board doesn't have that j10 jumper:confused::confused: i have a K7SOM+
    mobo.