DVD players crashing

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
I decided to take a break from coding and pop in a Sopranos DVD. Woops, no DVD software installed from my reformat.

Attempt #1: Power DVD
DVD starts to play, but the audio soon cuts out. Sometimes this is followed by the video crashing as well. This took out my system one or two times when the whole app failed, but usually I can quit.

"Maybe it's the software," I thought.

Attempt #2: ATI DVD 7.5
Click play. Screen freezes, then monitor goes in to powersave. I have to reboot to get the picture back.

I'm using a Radeon 9800 with Catalyst 4.7 driver, Win2K. There's nothing else running on the system to cause a crash (I even closed F@H to test). I've tried doing it at lower resolutions and color levels with no change. Any idea why I can't get DVDs to play?

Comments

• gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited July 2004
    does video files crash on you to?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I didn't think it did, but it seems to depend on the type:

.wmv - fine
    .mov - fine
    .avi - didn't play video
    .mpg - totally wrecked my day. Monitor went to powersave and I had to reboot.

Shouldn't the DivX codec have been enough? :scratch:
    edited July 2004
    try cat 4.5

their are alot of people having lockup and or crashes, with cats 4.6 and 4.7, while playing video files not sure about dvd's tho

might work
    edited July 2004
    also are you using hardware acc. in powerdvd?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    DiVX doesn't play MPEG, dude. DiVX is on the MPEG4 profile, DVD/MPG is MPEG2.

Your AVI file was probably XViD. You probably need to reinstall your DVD player to get the codec working again as well as obtain a copy of XViD 1.0.1 from www.doom9.org.
    edited July 2004
    Damn, I completely forgot XViD. That solved my incidental avi problem, of course.

I reinstalled PowerDVD and it seems to be working much better. ATI's player still ****s a brick, but I think that's because it was made with the AIW line in mind and I'm trying to use it with a 9800. It's giving me crap about the chip when I reinstall it.

Anyway, I think I can finally enjoy the Sopranos once more. :cool: Thanks guys.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Enjoy. :)

//EDIT:

Forgot about XViD? :rant:
    edited July 2004
    It's crashing again today :(
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited July 2004
    Try running the dvd software in compatibility mode? I used to have bugs with ATI tv software, run it comp. mode and it was fine.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2004
    try the free 30 day trial of powerDVD 5.0.....maybe that will work, just remember to uninstall the other version first!
    edited July 2004
    LawnMM wrote:
    Try running the dvd software in compatibility mode? I used to have bugs with ATI tv software, run it comp. mode and it was fine.
    Where is this option? It seems like ATI's player has a very limited options menu and I don't see it in there.
    gibbonsl wrote:
    also are you using hardware acc. in powerdvd?
    No, I am not.
    edited July 2004
    have you tryed patching powerdvd
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited July 2004
    Where is this option? It seems like ATI's player has a very limited options menu and I don't see it in there.

No, I am not.

Right click the shortcut to the player, and click on properties, then click the compatibility tab and try running it as windows 98 or something. That fixed the ATI tv software bug that came with their tuner. It has XP emulate a different OS environment that some software runs better under.

In my case, and probably still unless they've fixed it, was that when you started the TV app to view the feed from the tuner, the feed was scrambled by default. One way around it was to hold shift as you started the prog, that kept the feed clear and you had no probs. But you had to do that every time you started it. I found by running it in comp. mode as a windows 98 app that the feed never scrambled.

Its a long shot but its something to try.
    edited July 2004
    LawnMM wrote:
    Right click the shortcut to the player, and click on properties, then click the compatibility tab
    I only have the usual general, shortcut, and security tabs under the shortcut properties :-/
    gibbonsl wrote:
    have you tryed patching powerdvd
    No, and I can't seem to find any either using Google.