Kodak LS443 problems

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited August 2008 in Internet & Media
I love my Kodak EasyShare LS443, but I also FRICKING HATE IT. OMG. :mean: :banghead:

I bought it in May 2003. In December 2003 it broke. The gear drive for the lens busted and I had to send it in for warranty work. It just so happened to coincide with a road trip to northern minnesota to visit my wife's 90 year old great-aunt who is in very ill health. Realistically that was very likely the last time we will ever see her. So, during that trip, where the boys met their last living native-finnish speaking relative, we did not have our $400 digital camera. No problem, we bought a couple of cheapy disposables and I've got a scanner, but still.... bad timing.

So we got it back and it worked great. I only had to pay for shipping, which really isn't bad.

Now, July 2004, seven months later, it is shot again, only this time not under warranty (expired in may 2004). The same problem - mechanical. It grinds and will not pop the lens out. I actually got it to come out once by PULLING ON THE FREAKING THING WITH PLIERS and then it worked, but wouldn't close again. It's beyond repair.

So, I go to Kodak's support site to type in the problem and they come up with this brilliant solution:

"We can repair it for $150, but we highly suggest you TRADE UP to a new Kodak EasyShare xxxxx for $399!"

WHAT A ****ING DEAL.

I love the camera, the quality has been great, the images look great, but I think I'm done with Kodak's crap service and crap mechanics.

The other problem is now I'm without a digicam (which I use A LOT) and I can't afford a new one. **** **** ****. :rant:

Just had to get that off my chest.

Comments

• NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Sorry to hear it :(

I've heard a lot of problems with Kodak cameras from various people, they said it was enough to not want one again. I guess the quality was pretty good, just they broke once or more with them in too short of time.
  • mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited July 2004
    Well, that sucks.
    Does that gear also control the lens' zoom? If it doesn't, couldn't you still continue the use the camera? You'd just need to make a cap to cover the lens and protect it from scratches. A temporary solution till you can get another one.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    No, because the battery will drain too fast. It has to be "on" for the lens to be open... Plus, after a few minutes, it tries to go to sleep, and will try to shut that way... :mad:
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Yeah, I was going to suggest doing that. I guess not though. I don't know, maybe you could buy a refurbished camera or something, they are a lot cheaper and generally have good warranties.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2004
    I have a ls443 too. And it's away for repair. The camera is great but one of the kids used it and after that it didn't have a zoom button. I left it for a few weeks then contacted Kodak. They said they could do a small parts repair for £25 and gave me a return number. Two weeks later I got an email, it seems I paid with a debit card that had just expired. I phoned and paid with a current one. "thank you sir, I'll get your camera out today" (21st July) Four days later I phoned back, "where's my camera?" "Leave your details sir and I will ring you back" They didn't ring back. The next day the same conversation. Two days later ditto. Next attempt I got the supervisor who said this wasn't very good and PROMISED to sort it and ring me back. She didn't. I emailed them, no reply. I phoned just after their office had shut, 4:30pm, and basically got told "hard luck" and was cut off. If my camera isn't here in the next hour or so I will ring them again and go into mega whinge mode. The camera is great, the fault with it is nothing to do with Kodak but the service is enough to ensure my next one won't be a Kodak.

end whinge.
  • mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited July 2004
    Since the warranty is over, pop open the camera and remove the gear that moves the lens in and out so you can turn off the camera without the lens retracting in. If that's not an option, look for cameras that near its production run or has ended its production run, they are generally much cheaper. The Olympus C-740UZ my dad bought this week came out last year and it's $100CAD or so cheaper then when it first came out, maybe even $200CAD cheaper. Don't quite remember their price when they first came out.
    edited July 2004
    Prime, for now, just take the battery out when your done with it or leave it in the dock.
  • edited July 2004
    Fix it yourself, or I'll do it for you.

I shoulda told you when I was at your place earlier today, but I used to have to fix that sort of stuff all the time when I was working AV repair. The hardest part is getting the replacment parts, but thanks to my expirence, I've got plenty of sure-thing sources.
    edited August 2008
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Fix it yourself, or I'll do it for you.

I shoulda told you when I was at your place earlier today, but I used to have to fix that sort of stuff all the time when I was working AV repair. The hardest part is getting the replacment parts, but thanks to my expirence, I've got plenty of sure-thing sources.

An old thread I know but I have just replaced my Kodak, it finally died :(. I would like to have a go at it though. I have taken every screw I can find but cannot get to the lens drive. Mr TheSmj, do you know how I get in?
    Thanks.