Advanced Networking Pack For Windows XP

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Microsoft have made available a new networking pack for Windows XP SP1. The pack includes a new version of the IPv6 stack and an IPv6 firewall.

This update is quite significant because it includes new support for NAT traversal for IPv6 supporting applications.

Download:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/f/1/2f1a22fd-e838-4bc6-ac40-fbdbcc3a17a4/WindowsXP-KB817778-x86-ENU.exe

Information Page:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e88cc382-8ce6-4739-97c0-1a52a6f005e4&DisplayLang=en

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Cool, this will give me something to try at the weekend when the wife is at work :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    In a nutshell, what will be the likely practical impact of this. I downloaded and installed the critters yesterday, but still am wondering what to expect them to do for me.

Prof
    (The slow one...:rolleyes: )
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2003
    Shorty- Is this the fix you were talking about for video through messenger months ago, Through a router?
    Spinner- Does this require SP1?

bothered.

Damm! Took a look at the info page and it does require SP1 Damm, Damm, Damm.:banghead:
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    profdlp said
    In a nutshell, what will be the likely practical impact of this. I downloaded and installed the critters yesterday, but still am wondering what to expect them to do for me.

Prof
    (The slow one...:rolleyes: )

bothered said
    Shorty- Is this the fix you were talking about for video through messenger months ago, Through a router?
    Spinner- Does this require SP1?

bothered.

Damm! Took a look at the info page and it does require SP1 Damm, Damm, Damm.:banghead:

Going by what Microsoft have said, and by my very basic understanding of the problems surround NAT, ICS and all the other stuff which causes Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger 5 and below, so much trouble with stuff like file transfers and video hook ups, I think that this new networking pack may contain the necessary fixes (IPv6) to fix some of the issues with NAT traversal. However, some of those issues have now become moot, at least as far as MSN Messenger is concerned, because version 6.0 now contains a change in the architecture of the webcam functions and the file transfer engine which allow them more easily to work around ICS/NAT etc etc.

Does that answer your question?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    IPV6 kicked in on one of the IRC servers the otherday and looked quite weird, also seems to randomly chose when to use it when pinging too......

NS
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    I found some info here.

Prof