Jonshandbrake locked up.

dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
edited August 2004 in Folding@Home
Now i got your attention, hehehe.

Sally's main puter, aptly named "Jonshandbrake" has decided to have a rest.

I'm at work at the mine, so can only tell you what Sally told me. I'll be home on monday for 1 week so hopefully get to fix it.

Screen does not show anything when she boots up. Sally believes she did see an error message fleetingly once. The screen worked OK when she checks all the folding puters hooked up via the KVM switch boxes.

Suggested to follow Prime's advise and check the Sata cables. No change.
Checked the PCI cards, etc. No change.

Thermaltake case, Termaltake 480w PSU, Abit IC7 Max3 mobo, 2 gig of top quality ram, P4 3.4 Northwood CPU (brand new), 5 new Papst fans.

What this means, the reason for posting here is, NO POINTS. Ahhrrrgggg. :rant:

Fortunately all the other puters are going OK. As it has been doing 2 WU's in HT, we will be down in the points tally for a short (i hope) time.

Once i get to work on it and come across things i don't know about, i will post a message in the appropriate section looking for advise.

Just thought i'd let you know why the points are down a bit. Just when we started looking good to overtake KingFish, this happens. :bawling:
Not only that, KF ups the ante by adding lots of Gigs to his already impressive system. :thumbsup:
Got to love the ups and downs of the competition.

Pity the team loses the points. If all else fails and we don't get anywhere, i'll call in the "Real" experts, as Sally and I are still novices.

Jon

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    Does she know how to reset the BIOS? Try that.
  • edited July 2004
    As the old saying goes, "Stuff happens", Jon. And of course it almost always happens when you are at work, like me. :grumble: Anyways, Sally still has the other rigs to fall back on though.

I had to shut my farm down today also. My damn central ac bit the big one last night and when we woke up this morning it was around 27 C in the house this morning and the ac was blowing hot air. I shut all my farm down except my main rig while waiting for the repair guy to get here. When he checked it out, my compressor had cracked the low pressure line where it entered the compressor and was shot. To make a long story short, I ended up spending $1800 for a new outside unit for the ac this evening, but at least I'm back in cool, conditioned comfort. It got to 33 C in the house this afternoon while waiting for the guy to change the outside unit out. :bawling: If there is one good thing about this ordeal it's the fact that the ac decided to wait until I was in from work before packing it in. :thumbsup:

What the hell, it's only money (that I don't have at the moment :eek2: ). :buck:
  • edited July 2004
    Jon/Sally,
    I thought I was hearing footsteps from down under. I hope you get your woes fixed soon. I finally have mine humming pretty good right now. For a while there it seemed that I was having problems every other day. I'll be ramping up production even more in the next few weeks. I should be in the mid 20's to close to 30 'puters folding for the 'fish by end of next week. Time to catch that other aussie that passed me weeks ago.

Jim,
    What a crappy time for the a/c to let loose. Ours went out last summer. Luckily we got away with just replacing the inside condenser for $1300. I have a window a/c unit in the farm room that we can use for backup too now. Glad you are back up and running.

KF
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    muddocktor wrote:
    What the hell, it's only money (that I don't have at the moment :eek2: ). :buck:
    Oooooh yeah but money well spent when you have to subject yourself to the summer heat of south louisiana!
    It's been 4 years and 2 mos last time I changed my compressor outside. 2 days after I met my wife.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited August 2004
    csimon wrote:
    Oooooh yeah but money well spent when you have to subject yourself to the summer heat of south louisiana!
    It's been 4 years and 2 mos last time I changed my compressor outside. 2 days after I met my wife.

Keep that receipt. That way you won't forget that "Special" day, hehe.
    It means so much to them, lol. ;D;D

Forgetting it is not worth it. Her for a week. :rant::rant: