Calling Geeky, Leo and others familiar with Alpha and SLK-U

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
I have an Alpha PAL-8045 but no mounting hardware and also recall the studs being a pain to deal with for future removal and re-mounting. I appreciate any and all help in finding out if I can adapt or just use a Thermalright Neobackplate to mount an Alpha PAL-8045 heatsink. I know the holes should line up due to the M/B hole spacing and I could always use other length screws.

Thoughts.......Ideas???

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    to which board larry?
    Seems like it should work to me ...I know mudd has had some experience along those lines.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    csimon wrote:
    to which board larry?
    Seems like it should work to me ...I know mudd has had some experience along those lines.
    Chris,
    It will be going on another NF7-s or NF7.

It seems like a waste to just have this Alpha sitting here ina box and these rigs that could always use better cooling. I was going to get one or two of the SLK-900's and was thinking of adding a Neobackplate to the order.
  • edited July 2004
    Larry, I have both heatsinks in question and I can tell you right now that the standoffs for the Thermalright heatsinks will not work with the PAL 8045, unfortunately. The Thermalright standoffs are just too tall to mount the Alpha with. I was running an Alpha on a folding rig and decided to upgrade it to a Thermalright SLK947-U (I think I bought it from Gnome) and I started checking the mounting hardware and the standoffs for the Thermalright heatsink are a good 1/8-3/32 inch taller than Alpha standoffs. If I remember right, the Thermalright mounts also use a different size or thread tension bolt.

What you can do is go down to your local Home Depot or Lowes and buy you some #4 nylon washers and 4- 4-40 nylock nuts(locking nuts with a nylon insert) to make them not back out. That's what I got for my Alpha and old Swifty 462 and is what came with my Swifty MCX-462 when I had bought it last year. With the standoffs using the nylock nuts, they won't rotate on you when you go to unscrew the tension screws on the heatsink.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Mud,
    Thank you, that was what I was afraid of. If the difference was less I could grind down the tops of the standoffs but 1/8-3/32 inch taller is quite a bit. Maybe I will just out do Geeky with a bigger VPU H/S. ;)
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited July 2004
    I have a spare set of complete hardware for my unused 8045, you're welcome to it. LMK :cheers: