Where to put my new stick of memory (arriving soon)

MJOMJO Denmark New
edited August 2004 in Hardware
I have finally found a 512 MB stick of Corsair XMS PC3200 rev. 1.1.
Price roughly $120, not that expensive for excellent memory. :thumbsup:

Now in which memory socket should I place it?
I figured it was easier to ask you guys, rather than lookíng for my lost manual.

I have two sticks of 256 MB Corsair XMS PC3200 rev. 1.1.

The NF7-S can use dual channel with three modules right?
I read that elsewhere.

I assume that I will recieve the stick on tuesday or wednesday. :cool:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Yes, it can use dual channel with 3 sticks because it works out to six banks of memory.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I'll tell you where you can put that memory
    /me shakes fist.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited August 2004
    I have come up with this configuration (I'm still waiting for the stick though)

DIMM1 256 MB
    DIMM2 256 MB
    DIMM3 512 MB

Does that seem correct?
    shwaip wrote:
    I'll tell you where you can put that memory
    * shwaip shakes fist.
    Don't think so shwaip ;D
    Do you know how hard it is to find such a stick? :rant::zombie:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2004
    I have one stick of Kingston PC3500 and two sticks of Corsair BH5 PC3200 and I had to put them alternating, 256, 512, 256. My NF7 was a bitch and wouldnt boot at 200 FSB unless in that combo.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    With Dual channel, this USUALLY happens:

There are two pairs of sockets, BUT Socket one and socket three are usually overall channel bank one, and sockets 2 and 4 are usually channel bank 2.

Socket one is first socket for channel one's group banking, socket two is first cosket for second channel. Socket one and three are one color, socket 2 and 4 are another color. Each channel has to have same amount of total RAM in it as second dual channel bank for this to work. So, Marc had to put 512 in for each channel (AND both color-coded banks had to be identical in RAM capacity), both had to be 512 MB (same) for this to work. When he stuck 256 in socket one, 256 in socket two, and 512 in socket 3, the pairings were not equal-- one set of color coded channel banks had 256 and one had 768 in it. Dual channel uses ALTERNATE physical socket numbering banks for two channels, and each channel set is normally color coded alike. RAM in socket set of one color has to total same as total RAM in second set (by color).

That is the simplest rule for dual channel, and is right now the most commonly used layout and clue as to what goes where. BTW, this property is why I am using non-Dual Channel rated DDR SDRAM and have it working FINE in dual channel access mode on an IC7-Max3, though the timings had to be relaxed a bit (and the BIOs did this itself) for that to work when I had certain CPU OC timings in place.

Here, for MJO, is the other rule, specifically for using 2 256 MB sticks and getting a 512 MB stick to most likely work:

The stick that is double the size of the two others needs to be in socket 2 looking left to right as sockets are numbered. Lowest numbered socket is socket closest to CPU normally. So, as Marc did, you stick the 256 MB stick in socket one, the 512 in scoket two, and the other 256 MB in socket three. I will also BET that the BIOS is using the 512 MB stick as two 256 MB sticks to use it right and use dual channel. We logically have a logical FOUR bank system working, two 256 MB banks per channel group(each different color is a channel group). This may not be to RFC, but it does actually work this way in the field if the BIOS on the motherboard can do this.

Thrax is looking at single channel group theory of mapping to say three banks-- logically it has to be four banks total, two per channel, for true dual channel-- the big stick is twice as large, and and gets treated as TWO banks the same size as the smaller sticks. This also only works if all the sticks can run at same timings and speed-- note I did not say be native to same timings and speed, I simply mean all have to be able to run stably at same timings.

If you stick slower sticks in sockets one and three, and the stick in socket two can run as slow, then it works. SOMETIMES, if you stick the faster stick that is bigger in socket one and the slower smaller sticks in sockets 2 and four, then you CAN get a no-post as the first channel timings can be used for both. I've made all these things happen here on my IC7-Max3 boards, both boards, to confirm this is how you can approach things.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    There is no socket four, it's an NF7-S.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited August 2004
    I found this on the Abit forums
    http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57260&highlight=dual+channel
    Exactly what I did with my OCZ memory. Started with 2X256 PC3500 and found the same stick in a 512 version. Running the 512 in dimm slot 3 and the 2X256 in slots 1&2. Didnt hurt performance at all as far as overclocking or anything goes. I think the key here is to find as close a match as you can, including the chips on the modules if possible.

Lvcoyote
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Yeah, when I had 1GB of memory in my system, I paired 2 x 256 of BH5 Corsair C2 with 1 x 512 of BH5 Corsair C2. Worked beautifully, never a hiccup nor a reduction in top overclock.

Match sticks. Always always always. Same speed, brand.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited August 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    Yeah, when I had 1GB of memory in my system, I paired 2 x 256 of BH5 Corsair C2 with 1 x 512 of BH5 Corsair C2. Worked beautifully, never a hiccup nor a reduction in top overclock.

Match sticks. Always always always. Same speed, brand.

Excellent, then I should have no problems.
    The sticks couldn't be matched better I guess.
    They will all be rev. 1.1, the 2x256 is not from a dual kit.
    But I guees that wouldn't make any huge difference?

Thx for sharing your experience running three modules.
    First hand experience is always the best.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited August 2004
    I have now received the module and it is working fine.

I put it in DIMM3, to do that I moved a 256 MB module from DIMM3 to DIMM1.

Right now it is humming away at 225 MHz 2.0-2-2-11 @ 2.9V, as the other two modules.
    I didn't even bother to lower the speed, I just booted the rig after the upgrade. ;D

Oh and BTW, dual channel is indeed still working.

Sandra bandwith score: 3460/3252 I believe that result is similar to what I scored with two sticks.

Note: I have not run Memtest yet, but I will do it later on. ;)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    GHoosdum wrote:
    There is no socket four, it's an NF7-S.

Ok, fine, I was thinking of P4 style dual channel-- sorry about that.... Those P4\Intel platform dual channel boards have two sockets per channel group, two channel groups per board on single CPU boards..... But the basic ideas of matching speed and grouping size hold still.... I have used Dual-Channel P4 boards mostly.... Non-dual channel (before dual channel), have used lots of boards for both AMD and Intel platforms....

Different experience, different observations, different "I did not know that detail".... So I learn too, that's GOOD.