Is my 9800xt dead???

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited August 2004 in Hardware
I was surfing when my TV in on my 9800xt locked up. It locked the machine and froze up, I rebooted and now the machine won't start.

See picture below, this is what I see.

Im gonna go dig out another vid card.. but does anyone have thoughts from seeing it???
vid.jpg 48.5K

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    The 9800 Pro I had at school did that randomly. It's been fine for aaaaalmost 2 years.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited July 2004
    R.I.P. Mr. 9800xt you served shortmaster well

//edit

i dunno why i was thinking geeky... maybe its cause when i think ATI i think Geeky...

meh...
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Im not Geeky Jengo.

Well this has been like this for half hour now. Ive left the machine off incase it was temp related (its hot here in Cambridge at the moment.. hitting 33c) but turning it back on... no dice.

Im so unthrilled, Ive lent my spare vid card to a mate at work :(
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I used to have the same problem with my 9600xt. Reseating fixed it sometimes, but it eventually bit the dust.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2004
    Not a bad idea, shwaip. Try reseating the heatsink. That looks like crap you get when overclocking way too high...

//EDIT: If all else fails, when you get your spare card, try reflashing the bios on that 9800xt
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited July 2004
    Plz dont hurt me shortmaster, it was an accident!! its cause ati = Geeky!!!
    edited July 2004
    Ive taken the card out, checked the sink.. it's an ASUS 9800xt with the monster copper sink on it. It's intact and in place. Not overly hot either now its been cooling for half hour or more.

It starting playing up about three weeks ago, random video crashes that I put down to dodgy WDM drivers from ATI.

Time to source a spare vid card and check its defo Mr 9800xt and not athlon 64 issue #189809438098439
    edited July 2004
    It's the card it would appear.

Pulled the molex. No beeps, no warning messages about power cable not being plugged in. Nada, zip.

:bawling:
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    my 9800 pro did that the poof went dead
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited July 2004
    its dead mate, my 9500 softmodded did exactly the same thing. Can you rma it?
    edited August 2004
    Jimborae wrote:
    its dead mate, my 9500 softmodded did exactly the same thing. Can you rma it?
    Gotta ring ASUS on Monday. Oh crap.:bawling:
  • edited August 2004
    My 9700 Pro Gigabyte vid card did that to me several months ago, Shorty. In my case, the cheap-ass fan that Gigabyte used on the hs froze up and the gpu decided to croak. Sent the bugger back to Newegg and then bought a refurb 9800 Pro AIW. :thumbsup:
    edited August 2004
    muddocktor wrote:
    My 9700 Pro Gigabyte vid card did that to me several months ago, Shorty. In my case, the cheap-ass fan that Gigabyte used on the hs froze up and the gpu decided to croak. Sent the bugger back to Newegg and then bought a refurb 9800 Pro AIW. :thumbsup:
    I just spoke to a mate of mine who had a similar thing with his 9800pro.

I turned on the machine this morning and the video was ok.. for about two minutes. Then it started artifacting like hell.

It has a non standard cooler on it :( so can't even knock out a quick fix. Crap. Crap. Crap.

Back to ASUS it will go.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited August 2004
    Dan, that does sound like overheating or a bad cap, wasn't there a thread on here from somebody that repaired his card when that happened. I've been trying to find it b ut to no avail, could have been another forum though.
    edited August 2004
    Jimborae wrote:
    Dan, that does sound like overheating or a bad cap, wasn't there a thread on here from somebody that repaired his card when that happened. I've been trying to find it b ut to no avail, could have been another forum though.
    Id say a bad cap. The card isnt overclocked and the cooler is rock solid installed on there :(

Im looking for a solution :)
    edited August 2004
    Well the end of this is this, I've been out and picked up the first video card with dual display I could find. Local PC world had an MSI 5200/128mb with VIVO. It's not pretty but for £39 including Battlefield 1942 and Unreal II.. i've paid more for worse.

9800xt is all packed up ready for RMA when I speak to them tomorrow :(

No Doom III for me now for a few weeks :bawling:
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Dan, over here, copper corrodes like heck. When it gets oxidization corrosion layer plated, the thermal dump\shed\ablation effectiveness goes to heck. Heat does not get dumped to air right, once the copper surface corrodes even a large bit. You and I both live in damp climates, and water moisture levels being high trash copper surfaces real quick. I have a copper HS here that is six months old-- every fin, both sides, is discolored as heck and the HS is ineffective. The aluminum HSs are fine. The HS with an inner copper core and aluminum alloy outer are fine.

So, is the copper bright and shiny on HS, or discolored??? One reason Excaliber went to mostly aluminum HSs on the X800XT and x800 Pro they now offer is that the layering of thick aluminum over the copper inner heat spreader inserts protects the copper from corrosion. If you coat copper with lacquer, no corrosion, but also very poor heat pickup by airflow.

BTW, what I got in earlier days was more RAM array OH than GPU failures. In fact, we used to stock GRAM modules as parts where I worked-- replacement parts.... AND GRAM module sockets.... The iterative video pattern looks like a GRAM or GPU cache failure pattern, for what that is worth. Does not change the RMA return need for this card, but since I live in a damp climate that is also hot, I know to avoid copper surfaced or solid copper HSs unless I want to acetic acid dip them fairly often. I get anodyzed aluminum outer surface HSs on cards if possible, with copper contact plates embedded in them to spread heat. In relatively DRY climates, copper surfaces are effective heat shedders for much longer.
    edited August 2004
    The copper isn't particularly discoloured, a little darker than it was when first installed but nothing that would stand out.

I've given the card a thorough clean incase it was an attack of the dust bunnies but nope.

My box has 4 x 80mm fans pushing 32cfm a throw but it's been incredibly hot for the UK in the last few days (touched 33c here in Cambridge yesterday).

It's being RMA-ed regardless now. It's got a three year warranty.