Turning off CSS

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited July 2005 in Internet & Media
I am curious how you can turn off CSS in Firefox and Internet Explorer to see a sites appearance without the CSS.

TIA

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    if a site has multiple styles available, in firefox look in the loewr left corner. you'll see something that looks like abox of crayons. click it. i don't think you can just run off css though, but i'm probably wrong.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I don't see it, and I know my teacher did the same thing, yet I don't have it. Damn... I am trying to play with an all CSS website(toying around) and I would like to see it's appearance without the css so I can get better at this stuff.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    i think it only appears when there are multiple style sheets available.
  • LazRLazR USA
    edited August 2004
    Actually its possible.

using php.

Preview:
    http://mj.motorspin.com/v4/main.php

in the head of your file put the following

[PHP]
    <?php

// if statement

if( $_GET != 'false' )
    {
    ?>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css"/>
    <?php
    }
    ?>
    [/PHP]

Then link as follows

[PHP]
    <a href="main.php?css=false">turn off CSS</a>
    <a href="main.php?css=true">turn on CSS</a>
    [/PHP]

that should do it. If your file extension is not .php , obviously (depending on your php knowledge) it wont work, so just save as .php and also make sure if your host as php installed, again it wont work otherwise. Good luck!
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    If it does not work due to your site not using PHP, you can in Firefox get into the preferences and tell Firefox to use certain fonts and sizes as minimums, and can even override the site's font and some style feeds. But, THEN the browser is restyling the site FOR you, so you will want to look at it with several DIFFERENT font settings in place to see how it behaves if someone forces thier browser to do that.

Opera, Mozilla, FireFox, and IE actually can do this, though you have to get deep into the Preferences (Appearance part of Preferences for Mozilla and FireFox)or Internet Options depending on browser. In this case telling IE or any other browser to not use CSS is best universally done by having the browser override the CSS with its own settings. CSS or font pairs are overwritten, the browser does its own thing based on what you tell it to use for minimum size and font choices. Essentially you are telling the browser to use a fixed style set you choose, adn it is interesting to see how sites break when this is done. Make one with good CSS AND that holds up its basic structure when a browser overrides things fairly reasonably, then you have a REAL good site.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Download the web-developer extension for FireFox.. which allows you a click "turn off - turn on" CSS control :)
  • edited July 2005
    kanezfan wrote:
    if a site has multiple styles available, in firefox look in the loewr left corner. you'll see something that looks like abox of crayons. click it. i don't think you can just run off css though, but i'm probably wrong.

That's what I'm looking for...
    I downloaded that web-developer extension, but that's not what I want (I also just want to disable CSS on pages).

I was showed this about a year ago when I was learning HTML and CSS to see what CSS could do.
    Since then I've had to re-download Firefox, and so lost whatever that was.

What extensions do you have, kanezfan? Maybe I could figure which one I want based on that...

Edit: oh... sorry, I didn't realize how old this thread. I found it in a google search.