Add/Remove Parser Error

Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Whenever I click on the add or remove icon a window pops up with a heading of Parser Error and inside the window it says Value creation failed " at line 472. I'm running Windows XP Pro. Anyone know how to fix this?

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Did you edit the registry??? Does anything other than the Control Panel malf???

This is executable or XML parsing. Never seen thta exact one, though.

Only other thing offhand, you might want to virus scan.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2003
    Have you by chance installed any programs that add applets to the Control Panel (such as QuickTime)?
  • Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
    edited July 2003
    Sorry, I was typing faster than I was thinking. It's not the control panel it's just the add or remove icon that gives me that error.
    edited July 2003
    Well, the easiest way I know to try and isolate this thing is to switch to classic mode for the control panel-- if it is when you click the Add\Remove Programs icon that this happens only, then maybe that applet needs to be replaced. However, switching the Control Panel theme to classic will change the icon used and let you see if the icon itself is scripted in the Windows XPmode. Might also be a nice short term fix.

Long term, would reinstall the Control Panel, but never have had to do that thing before in XP. I have no idea how you got a null entry with a mouse click, but that is what Windows thinks is happening from the message given. Mouse drivers bad??? Check those too, ok????

And, in stock XP Pro, you might not want to double click where you did in older Windows-- a lot of things are defauilted to "single click for run" now. UNLESS you put XP Pro in Classic mode for theme
    edited July 2003
    Well, I run the control panel in classic and that's where I noticed the error so I switched to category view and it happens there too. I have the mouse click set up so that you have to double click an not single click things. I'll try updating my mouse drivers and see if that does anything.

--Simguy, I don't believe I've installed anything recently, but I'm not sure how long this error has been there. I just noticed today.
    edited July 2003
    Ok, I have not seen this before. If you still have problems after a driver update, let us know and I will see if I can find anything in the Knowledge Base about that.
  • maggie99635maggie99635 Alaska
    edited July 2003
    This happened to me after I put SP1 on my XP. I had to upgrade Style XP to be compatible with SP1. There is a theme patch if your not using Style XP. There is one here if you are using the UXtheme. http://www.ntfs.org/modules.php?modid=6&action=cat&id=3
    edited July 2003
    I updated the drivers for my mouse and tried the uxtheme patch that maggie said, but still no luck. This is really starting to get annoying.
    edited July 2003
    Well I found the problem. Apparently some of themes for themexp will give this error. So I swapped it back and it worked fine. Woot woot
  • maggie99635maggie99635 Alaska
    edited July 2003
    I had read some of the themes would do that. I couldn't find a link for the info. It's the pits not being able to get to add/remove programs. I happened on the fix quite by accident. I'd applied SP1 to one computer and hadn't gotten around to putting it on my other one. So I had something to compare. Glad you got it sorted.