kudos to shortmedia

KometeKomete Member
edited August 2004 in Community
I wanted to give a big pat on the back to all those who worked and are continually working on the omegakiller project. Awsome job and awsome write up.

My pc was hijacked a few months ago and reluctantly I just formatted it. it's nice to know if it happens again I can seek help on shortmedia in helping me remove it. It's sites like these that are a cut above the rest.

Thank You

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    Thanks for the Compliment. The guys that take the time to help all the members fix their hijack problems are great!
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited August 2004
    Thanks for the compliment :) The staff members who helped test and refine Mondi's fantastic program definitely deserve some recognition for willingly "crapping up" their computers to make sure Omegakiller worked.

As written in the Omegakiller article, spyware & adware are two of the most widespread problems on computers today. So many people suffer through slow computers, menu bars, toolbars, pop-ups, hijacks and ad pushes that it boggles the mind to think of the wasted processor cycles. For those of who like a finely tuned PC and OS, it is a sin what these companies are doing to the unsuspecting and unaware internet users whose computers they purposely slow down, impair and clog up in order to put a dollar in their own pockets.

I have had people say "my computer sucks, I think I need a new one, it is so slow," and when I ask them the specs, I say "wait a minute, that should be running nicely." I take a look in safe mode at the Registry, or run an HJT scan, and just shake my head. Anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes later, they are saying "Wow! It's so fast, it is like it is brand new again!" They would have gone and spent hundreds of dollars on a new PC, when all they had to do was clean out some crap that should never have been on their computers in the first place. Many of the staff members here at Short-Media can tell you similar stories. That is why we started our security section, and although it is a lot of work to keep helping so many people, it is certainly for a good cause. If we can clean some computers up, and educate some users, we take money out of the malware companies' pockets, and make some users vey happy. Hopefully, they then help spread that knowlegde a little, and save others from clogged computers, or from wasting money on new ones, or from wasting time re-installing an OS and losing all that data. We're trying to make the internet a little safer, one user at a time. :)

Dexter...
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited August 2004
    :vimp: < shortmedians