NF7-S - Best upgrade CPU?

CrimguyCrimguy Cave Creek, AZ
edited August 2004 in Hardware
I've got a NF7-S rev 2 mobo with an Athlon XP1600 on it. I'm considering burning some cash to max it out.

1) Should I just go for the XP3200/400 or go with a XP2600 mobile (which I understand is unlocked)?

2) Any ram issues I should be aware of? Any brands to avoid? I currently have 1 stick of Corsair PC2100 256mb and 1 stick of generic pc2700 256, but will throw that in my server. I'm thinking 2 sticks of PC4000 or so to give headroom if I get the mobile chip?

Thx for the sage advice - I've been too focused on actually using my computer lately and haven't kept up with the news/issues.

Crimguy

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2004
    Mobile all the way. Easy overclock to 200FSB and will prolly be cooler. Plus it will be cheaper.

PC4000 wont have the best timings if that concerns you.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    1) Mobile 2400.
    2) Do not use anything higher than PC3500 on an Athlon system. It won't run optimal timings, and the NF7 can't run a fast enough FSB for the slow timings to be worth it. Furthermore, if you try to set PC3700/4000/Higher to 2/2/2 at 200, it won't work.
  • CrimguyCrimguy Cave Creek, AZ
    edited August 2004
    Good tips guys, thx.

Have people's experiences with the 2400 show the same kind of headroom as with the 2600?

Also, I assume I should try to get a 35w version as opposed to the 45 watt chip, for cooling purposes?
    Thrax wrote:
    1) Mobile 2400.
    2) Do not use anything higher than PC3500 on an Athlon system. It won't run optimal timings, and the NF7 can't run a fast enough FSB for the slow timings to be worth it. Furthermore, if you try to set PC3700/4000/Higher to 2/2/2 at 200, it won't work.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Yes, try to get a 35w, but it's not a big deal. Also, People have reported roughly the same experiences with the 2400 and 2600.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    all of those mobiles mentioned will run cooler (at a lower voltage as well I'm almost sure) at 2.3ghz / 200 fsb 2-2-2-11 on air than my xp3000+/400 at the same. My voltages have to be 1.675v cpu / 2.70v mem to be stable at those speeds and runs very hot. 1.6v chipset and vid also in case you're interested.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Check recent Anandtech articles concernign memory. they have been running high speed modules in AMD mobos to check max speed and timings.
    edited August 2004
    Check recent Anandtech articles concernign memory. they have been running high speed modules in AMD mobos to check max speed and timings.
  • CrimguyCrimguy Cave Creek, AZ
    edited August 2004
    edcentric wrote:

Thanks all. A XPM2400 will be on the way. $84 at newegg. :celebrate
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Get a Mobile and the best PC 3200 Mushkin or Corsair you can afford!!!
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    mtgoat wrote:
    Get a Mobile and the best PC 3200 Mushkin or Corsair you can afford!!!
    512MB Dual Pack (2x256MB) PC3200 222 LII V2~New release!
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited August 2004
    Crimguy wrote:
    Thanks all. A XPM2400 will be on the way. $84 at newegg. :celebrate

:rarr: a 35W Mobile is $115 over here. :rant:
    And I am considering getting one for my hot system.
    I gets quite hot with a Tbred @ 1.92V in there. (Note: my airflow is not the best)
    edited August 2004
    MJO sounds like you need a 'personal friend' to send you some 'used electronics parts' as a 'gift'.
    I know what you meen about TBirds, I am still running two of them.

What we really need is a decent NF2 mATX mobo so that you could build a small form factor box using a mobile XP.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited August 2004
    edcentric wrote:
    MJO sounds like you need a 'personal friend' to send you some 'used electronics parts' as a 'gift'.
    I know what you meen about TBirds, I am still running two of them.

What we really need is a decent NF2 mATX mobo so that you could build a small form factor box using a mobile XP.

You are right, a supplier of "cheap" parts would be nice.
    But I believe that the price on XP-M's is high because they are not in great demand and they do not get imported in very large quantities.

A small DigiDice containing an XP-M would be very nice, and fast.

BTW: I wrote TBred (Thoroughbred) not TBird. :cool: