newegg vs. geil RMA?

rykoryko new york
edited August 2004 in Hardware
I have 1gb (2x512mb) geil golden dragon pc3500 that i purchased 11/03 from newegg. Each stick of ram has a single red LED "dragon eye" on the pcb. Both sticks work great, they pass 10+ instances of memtest @ 235+, but the problem is one of the LEDs stopped working on one of the sticks.

So should i risk an RMA @ newegg since it is older than 90 days and my ram will be replaced with repaired/refurbished merchandise? Will they even accept an RMA for a purely decorative thing? Will they give me different ram all together (2 sticks?) or will they try to repair the LED on my stick?

Geil offers a lifetime warranty on all of their memory, so i could go through them directly for the RMA. Has anyone ever dealt with geil? Same questions as for newegg, will they repair or replace? Remember this is a dual channel kit, so will both sticks be replaced?

Or am i just crazy for wanting an RMA for a stupid LED? Is it even worth the hassle? Any insight would be appreciated....

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2004
    Newegg will RMA it. They give you an RMA # right away.

Why would you want to if it reaches 235?
  • rykoryko new york
    edited August 2004
    woah.....nice avatar!

but, yeah, that is the big risk....will the replacement sticks oc as well as the old ones? Is a LED worth taking that chance?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2004
    Nope!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    No the replacement sticks will not OC as well.
    No I would not take that risk.