Problems with my ATi card...

edited August 2004 in Hardware
In the past year I have purchased two video cards from ATi; the 9200 and 9800 Pro. Overall the cards run great, but I have had a similar problem on both of them. When ever I quickly rotate the camera in any 3D application the image is horizontally "sliced" into about ten slices do not move in synchronization. Some slices are skewed to the left and others to the right. The image corruption instantly ceases when ever the camera rotation is stopped.

One example is the "Pixel Shader 2.0" test in 3DMark03 (the one with the elephant and rhino). When the camera is zooming directly in, the image looks great. But once the camera starts to rotate around the figures the slicing occurs.

Other notes on the problem:

I have noticed the slicing in ATi tech demos, 3DMark03 and games like UT2004 and FarCry.

I dont think this is a FPS issue. UT2004 runs at an average 45+ FPS at 1600x1200x32, with min FPS at 30+.

The slicing has occurred on both my computer monitor and TV.

I am using the newest Catalyst 4.7 drivers. Currently I am experimenting with Omega tweaked drivers (the problem occurs on both normal ATi drivers and the tweaked drivers).

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Do you have the latest Intel chipset drivers for your board? That's a weird thing to experience with two seperate cards. That leads me to believe that it could be a configuration issue, a defective AGP slot (i've seen it happen) or a bunk motherboard... What are your agp settings like in your BIOS?
  • CreepCreep Hell Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    maybe it's just ATi?
  • edited August 2004
    Well, the BIOS settings I'm sure are fine. I really dont have any options in BIOS. There is an AGP/PCI selector and an AGP apature size I have set to 128. I might be wrong, but I didnt see any 2x4x8x options. I know my BIOS is recent, only a few months old but I guess it wont hurt to check Intel's site.

The only major problem my computer had was a semi-failed hard drive clone (my new hard drive is based on a clone of an old partition). I have a few "phantom" programs, they are installed but I cant run them. For example Intel Active Monitor is installed but it refuses to run on the new partition. That might be the origin of the problem I guess. I got 80gigs of data to backup if I scrap this partion. Time to buy a DVD burner I guess...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    try using a catalyst removal tool and then reinstall directX and then install the drivers all over again.
  • edited August 2004
    Creep wrote:
    maybe it's just ATi?

If it means you'll give me a 6800 for free then thats a yes.
  • edited August 2004
    try using a catalyst removal tool and then reinstall directX and then install the drivers all over again.

I have tried that and guess what? The removal tool doesnt work. It fails at about 50% completion.