I don't know how I ever lived without one of these...

TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
edited August 2004 in Hardware
I had a older 20gb laptop drive I had salvaged out of a dead laptop of a buddys 8 months ago so I grabbed one of those little $10 aluminum usb 2.0 enclosures. No power cord it runs off the usb bus. Fits in your shirt pocket. Maybe 3/4's of an inch thick.

I used to just hate doing repairs out at times and wanted guys to drop it off here and I charged half price but I had all my sh*t here to work on it. Drivers, software, utilitys and weird stuff. I crammed all the important stuff on it and still have a couple gb's, I waste so many cd-r's burning them just to use something once and copy a few files around etc.. when a box has network probs... know I am looking around for a couple more used 20 to 60gb 2.5 drives just to put them in more of these suckers also. I could have a small padded bag in my briefcase to hold two or three of these babies.

Just as a way to even may up the 30gb of mp3's for christ sakes. I enabled the advanced performance thing in the device manager so I have to use that "remove hardware safely" icon but I was really really surprised how fast it was. I had a buddy bring over one and he tried to copy my mp3's and he left after an hour only half done. One of the new 7200 rpm ones would be really nice but I mean its reasonably fast and offers a ton of options.

Tex gives these babies a big two thumbs up! try one ... you'll love it.

Tex