tried to update xp home from disk now want restart windows

edited August 2004 in Hardware
hi, can i please get some help my computer was playing up a bit and hubby told me to try and repair/update from the disk i did that and it went threw all the installation things ( sorry computer illerate ) and then when it went to restart windows it kept coming up with sorry for the inconvienience but window did not start successfully a recent hardware or software change may have caused this then it says start in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt last know good configuration or start windows normally i tried them all even putting the disk back in and i don't want to loose anything but it keeps coming up with the same page i even left the computer off for a couple of hours. please help
thanks diddi

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    We need detailed hardware specs (not "it's a dell")... What kind of processor, what model number, what motherboard (if you can tell us - if not, please give us the detailed model number), what video card, etc.

If it's an OEM computer (A dell, gateway, etc.) give us the service tag number if there is one and we'll be able to get the specs from the manufacturer. Let's start there.
  • edited August 2004
    this is what is written on the receipt and the OEM Product key:
    AMD-CPU XP2000; Segate hard drive-Barracuda IV 80GB; 512 MB DDR RAM PC2700 Hyundai; Epox 8RGA + mainboard - Dual display/DDR/AGP/IEEE1394 and the OEM is N09-00741 and the only other number on the sticker is the product key if you also need that just let me know thanks diddicoyote
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Diddi, please try this:

Try to boot in safe mode without networking. Does it start up??? If no, tell us that and best you can what it is saying after trying if anything. Give us most of what is just on the screen.

If yes it DID start in safe mode without networking, tell it restart, and then choose Safe Mode with Networking. Does it start that way too???

That can help rule out something as less likely, a bad modem or network card can let first thing I said to do happen but not second and if bad network card or modem, XP or 2000 will not boot normally sometimes-- if they do boot into nomral it can take LONG time for each boot adn then windows startup to happen as far as showing the Windows desktop you use. We can tell you what to do next based on these two things to start, but need you to do them to make fixing more and more centered on problem-- idea is to rule out things as best we can, then look at what is left until problem vanishes. We can help figure out next steps, but need something to start with, and results here can help us figure out what to do next.

The way you use that screen you are stuck on is to use the arrow keys, up and\or down ones, until what you want is shown as black text on white. Once what you want is black text on white, tap the enter key and let it think for maybe a REAL long-seeming time.