CPU motherboard compatibility...

ThatFatCat5ThatFatCat5 Minn-eee-soda
edited August 2004 in Hardware
I'm having troubles knowing if a CPU im interested in buying will work in my mobo.
This is what the CPU is:
Intel Pentium 4 Celeron Socket 478 SL6WC 2.30GHz 128K 400MHz FSB 478Pin System Pull OEM CPU

This is my mobo:
VIA P4XB-SA/RA

It says it supports from 1.5 GHz to 2.2 GHz+, does the plus mean anything above that? because they could have just put 1.5 GHz to highest P4 or something.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    don't get a celeron! Get a pee4 if you have to upgrade your processor. What's your budget? Celerons suck!
  • ThatFatCat5ThatFatCat5 Minn-eee-soda
    edited August 2004
    nothing above $69
    edited August 2004
    thats not much help to tell me not wat to be. I asked if it would be compatible. I also told you my price range and i have yet to recieve a response...

anybody else know if it will work with my mobo?
    edited August 2004
    Oh well, with that low of a budget, you're stuck with a celeron. If you could swing around $130 you could get a 2.4A

I'm not a big Intel guy, so I'll let somebody else answer whether or not it's going to be compatible. My experience tells me yes, but don't take my word for it.
    edited August 2004
    But wats so bad about celerons?
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited August 2004
    They have half the level 2 cache of their P4 counterparts, if I'm not mistaken. That equates to crappy performance.

The processor should work, but I'm not completely sure.

EDIT: Sorry, typo. Fixed it...
    edited August 2004
    What's crappy about them is that they are hobbled P4s. The don't have nearly the cache of their P4 counterparts.
    edited August 2004
    Hmmm.... So it won't run at 2.3GHz? or it will die faster? or it will have a higher temperature?

Which one?

Cache is? How does it effect my comp? Sry, first time builder...
    edited August 2004
    It will run at 2.3 GHz, and it won't die any faster than it should. If you're UPgrading your processor, it probably will generate more heat. Question... What processor are you running now? And this celeron you're interested in, does it come with a heatsink?

The more cache you have, the better. I don't really know what it does, so there. :aol:
    edited August 2004
    I'm building a new system so i have no previous CPU.

I already have a heatsink that can handle it.
    http://www.censuspc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SP414S8-1&Category_Code=S478FAN
    edited August 2004
    Looks good! :thumbsup:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    It's a processor architecture issue with the cache. The Pentium-4 and Celerons in this generation have many more stages in the processing pipeline than other processors. Because of this, if an instruction goes wrong in the pipeline and it must start over, there is a delay - P4 and Celeron have longer delays than other CPUs, such as AMDs. Cache factors into this because it stores information on the CPU. If the information is not in cache, the system needs to access main RAM for the info. Accessing cache is significantly faster than accessing RAM. If an instruction meets a dead end or goes wrong, and the CPU must start over, it's a lot quicker to go out to cache to access the info than it is to go to RAM - that's one of the main reasons it's good to have a larger cache, so you can fit more of that info. That's why a Celeron operates a lot slower than a P4 of the same GHz rating. The shorter pipeline of AMD processors mean that they do more work per clock cycle than a P4, therefore there's even less delay if something happens in an instruction. That's why an AMD processor that operates at a lower speed can perform operations as fast as a much higher clocked P4.
    edited August 2004
    OK. Now i understand. Thanks alot!
    edited August 2004
    If you're on a budget, perhaps you should consider AMD instead of Intel. You'll get higher performance for the money you spend. It will require rethinking the motherboard, RAM, and CPU, but in the end it will be worth it. What you should do is post your entire system budget and let some of the experts here make some recommendations....
    edited August 2004
    Well, the problem with that is, that I already received all of my items except the CPU. So to get amd i would have to return the motherboard, and the heatsink/fan. So it would cost me even more money to send it bak. I think for my first system ill just use P4, but from now on ill use AMD. :cool: