dvd-r problems

RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
edited August 2004 in Internet & Media
heya guys,

my friend just passed me a TDK dvd-r which he recorded using some pioneer dvd recorder sourced from a tape.. and the thing is its unplayable by almost 4 other dvd players that ive tried now.. including some 8 yr old toshiba dvd player, a 1 year old sony dvd player.. my old dvdrom on my pc.. all of them just seem to spin the cd for a long time before giving an error (check disc etc).

he verified that the dvd was working on his own players at home.. what gives? how do i watch this dvd??

thanks in advance!

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2004
    Why don't you watch it at his house?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Are you sure it's a DVD-R?
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    yeah thrax im really sure its a dvd-r.. i know with dvd-rws there are more compatibitily problems.. but im stumped on this one.. help.. !
    edited August 2004
    What is he playing it on?
    edited August 2004
    he has two dvd players.. both pioneer.. one is an ordinary reader that costs around usd 100 .. and another dvd-r/rw burner and reader that has an integrated HDD to store images of dvds to burn.. not sure of the model.. it costs around usd 550
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited August 2004
    Quick questions:

Is the content of this DVD-R video or audio? If either then what is the file format?

Are you trying to play this DVD-R on a standalone DVD player or a PC DVD-ROM drive. Another possible flaw could be that the DVD drives you have, if PC, are DVD-R or DVD+R only.
    edited August 2004
    video.. im not sure about the file format

ive tried BOTH standalone dvdplayers and an ancient dvdrom drive on my dell pc where neither of them works.

im going to try another tdk dvdrom drive for a pc and some other standalone dvdplayers later.. hopefully it works.. i didnt know self burnt dvds are still unreliable like the times when cd-rs first came out.. ack heh
    edited August 2004
    They generally <b>aren't</b> broadly uncompatable unless the burn was peculiar.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited August 2004
    Ummm, I notice by your Avatar that you are in Malaysia. Any chance this DVD came to you from North America? Or that it was burned on equipment purchased in Malaysia, and you are trying to play it on equipment purchased in North America?

If so, you are probably not able to see the DVD due to the location codes being incompatible.

Dexter...
    edited August 2004
    nah the dvd was burned locally with a locally purchased dvd player. i think the problem may be what thrax called a peculiar burn... homemade dvds arent burnt like standard dvds such as the ones they mass produce and sell.. which are widely compatible.

//edit .. ack i think the dvd MUST be burned defectively.. ive tried all 4 dvdplayers in my other friends house.. including a ps2.. all to no avail. im getting another copy tmrw.. wish me luck :Rocker:
  • ipnobatisipnobatis London
    edited August 2004
    It might seems a little bit wierd asking that.. but have u tried to "run" it in a different DVD-writer?
    I had a problem with a dvd which the dvdrom couldnt handle.. but the nec2510A with the "alcohol 120%" gave me a clue of what was inside... (it just was a open-multisession dvd...)
    edited August 2004
    yay~! i just ran the dvd-r through my friends recorder and found out it wasnt finalized... after doing so, the dvd players were able to play it. thanks for ur help guys!