New Rig not booting up :(

edited August 2004 in Hardware
Please guys i need massive help, i bought a new rig (specs below) and i think i have set everything up right(reset cmos) plugged everything in.

But it fails to boot up! It will start booting for maybe 3 seconds then it will power itself down.

Any suggestions.

GX-032-LT Leadtek WinFast A400TDH GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-032-LT) x 1
CP-070-AM AMD Athlon 64 3000 (Socket 754) - Retail (CP-070-AM) x 1
MB-046-AB Abit KV8 Pro (Socket 754) Motherboard (MB-046-AB) x 1
MY-005-GL GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS2.5 (GE1GB3200BDC) (MY-005-GL) x 1
HD-011-SA Samsung SpinPoint P SP1213C 120GB SATA 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-011-SA) x 1
CA-000-TG Tagan TG480-U01 480W Silent PSU (CA-000-TG) x 1
AC-000-AC Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g) (AC-000-AC) x 1
SP-010-LG Logitech X-620 6.1 71 Watts Speakers - Retail (SP-010-LG) x 1

Comments

• edited August 2004
    The bios code it gives me 87, 9c, 9e then 9f

Also a little red light comes on at the side of the board, i can't find out what that means. But that's what its called R369LED2

I am sure the red light is the source of my problems but i just cant find out what it means.

Ok some more digging around yielded that the redlight just means that the power is turned on.

Im stumped :|
  • edited August 2004
    The beeps sound like

Errr er er er

My mate thinks it's video failure so i've tried a different graphics card in the machine and still the same result.

AGP slot dead?
  • edited August 2004
    Update: I have made sure the board is not geting shorted from the case.

Im hoping the board isn't dead :(
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited August 2004
    ^Ben wrote:
    The beeps sound like

Errr er er er

My mate thinks it's video failure so i've tried a different graphics card in the machine and still the same result.

AGP slot dead?

1 Long, then 3 Short Beeps: Video error

Explanation: The BIOS is unable to access the video system in order to write any error messages to the screen.

Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the video card, or the memory on the video card. It can also be a motherboard issue.

Recommendation:

* Troubleshoot the video card.
    * If the video card is not at fault, troubleshoot the motherboard.

make sure the card is properly seated.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    What do you have plugged in as a monitor?
    It isn't on a KVM switch is it?
    Look real hard at the AGP slot. Are you really sure that the video card is locking all of the way down? Does the video card use a secondary power input?
    You might use a voltmeter and monitor the voltage at boot. If hte psu is letting it drop too low then the video card would fault.
  • edited August 2004
    KVM switch?

Is that the little flippy thing that you use to lock down the video card? If so then yes, I have flipped the KVM switch.

I have used a guarenteed working graphics card and it still throws up the error.

At the moment i don't have a monitor plugged in, but i did and it still threw up the same error.

I am also sure the card is seated properly.

Anything on the board that i have to change?

I have used a low power graphics card ti 4200 on it aswell(same error)
  • edited August 2004
    Ok new problem guys

What does 1 long beep followed by a short interval and another beep repeating mean?

And also what way does Geil ram go in the dimm? name facing inwards or outwards?

If i put name inwards it will boot for a bit but then will shut itself down no beeps.

If i put it name facing outwards there will be 1 long beep followed by a short delay then another over and over again.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    You are pulling our leg aren"t you?

1 long beep means memory. You do realize that memory sticks have an off center notch in the bottom so they can only go in one way don't you?

I would hate to think what could happen if you put it in backwards.
  • edited August 2004
    Well for some reason it let me put it in there with no trouble.
    (Just realised that i didnt put it in atall lol!)

BUT I WORKED OUT THE PROBLEM WOOO WOOO!

There is a design flaw with the board which means you have to put slack on the board around the HSF. Otherwise it wont boot up :D

Ok now a newb question what frequencies is a amd 64 3000 meant to be set at? Mine shows 2000mhz
    edited August 2004
    Sounds like the heastsink/fan is either not making good contact or installed incorrectly. This would shut the system down for fan/speed or heat in just a few seconds of turning on. I would check that installation very close to make sure it is seated and hooked up properly. It only takes a few thousandths of an inch to be wrong.
  • edited August 2004
    It boots up correctly now and all i need now is my floppy drive to install the sata drivers :D

It is a specific problem with the kv8 pro it apparently has a warping issue.
    edited August 2004
    Interesting problem with a MB warping. Would really make me jittery about using a MB like that. Never would trust the dang thing :)

As long as it works now. Good lick getting it all set up.
  • edited August 2004
    Yeh don't think ill be trusting it :O

But anyway thanks for you guys help :P

Im not even gonna tell you how i solved the first problem :P (idiot)
  • edited August 2004
    Bah I'm too late, but yes the warping issue is a pain. I was having this problem and after about an hour I figured out what it was. I have to say the PCB does feel rather cheap and thin, very easily bent.

One problem that made me realise it was a case of the board bending was sometimes I could bootup, go into windows, then it would lock up. After that I couldnt boot at all. Seems that my ram sticks were in ok, but as they got hotter they would expanded and pop themselves out of the slots! (due to the slight bend in the board)
  • edited August 2004
    At moment i have got the clamp for the processor pushed back 1 step so it's not fully locked down onto the board and that solved it.(heatsink still feels solid against processor)

The first problem i had was because i come from the realm of low powered PC's that are 4 year old(duron 650 baybeee) And I didn't realise that the 4 pin connecor had to be plugged in. Well i'll you the the truth i couldn't really see if with the mass of plugs you get with the tagan :Rocker:

Thanks guys.