Not booting after upgrade

WeedoWeedo New
edited August 2004 in Hardware
I just replaced my XP 1400+ with a Barton 2500+. When I try to boot up, the computer starts for a few seconds then shuts down. All was well before. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7VA which is supposed to support AthlonXP 1400+ and up. Any ideas about this? Thanks.

Comments

• edited August 2004
    I have a folding rig that's using a VA-10 Abit board that will do the same thing if a rpm sensor fan isn't plugged into the cpu fan header on the mobo. It will start for around 5 seconds and then shuts down without a fan plugged into that cpu fan header..
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited August 2004
    Thanks. I'm aware of that. I made sure the fan is plugged in as required. I was wondering if that board has an upper limit that is not stated in the manual. Also, I guess I better take the hsf off and have a look.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2004
    you need at least bios F9 to support the 2500+. bios F11 supports the new Duron make.

long story short, plop your old cpu back in, flash your bios, try the new one again
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited August 2004
    Thanks. I'll give that a try.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited August 2004
    Aaaarghhh!!! It's doing the same thing with the old processor back in!!! I'm at a loss now.
    edited August 2004
    clear the cmos, pull the battery, wait half an hour, try again
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited August 2004
    Dude!!! Why didn't I think of that!! Thanks again! I'm panicing and loosing my head. Gotta settle down here and think.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited August 2004
    Well, I cleared the cmos and it's still doing it. Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'm still grabbing at straws here.
    edited August 2004
    someone else needs to jump into this thread and help me out here...

try reseating your memory, its possible you jarred it when you were replacing the cpu. however, i dont know how that would cause your system to power up and on like you're describing it doing. the last time that happened to me was on my IS7 system. what fixed mine was unplugging the power supply and then plugging it back in. even though it was switched off it still sparked when i went to plug it back in. this seemed to solve the power on / off issue. however i think thats a long shot... someone help me out :D
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited August 2004
    That power supply thing occurred to me also, so I'm reclearing the cmos with the PSU unplugged this time. I hope that does it. I'm losing some good folding time here. Hopefully I'll get that Barton up tonight sometime to make up for it.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    did you remove the motherboard from the case when you swapped out CPUs? cause it could be making contact with the case and shorting out. try to power it on with the motherboard outside of the case.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited August 2004
    No, I left the motherboard in. All I did was pull the hsf off, replace the processor and put the hsf back on. I tried clearing the cmos with the power supply unplugged and still no luck. :banghead:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I am willing to bet that either the bios is checking for fan speed too soon after power up, or looking for too high of a speed, or the fan sensor is borked.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited August 2004
    Well, here's where I'm at. I emailed Gigabyte tech support. They suggest that the problem is CPU overheat, I should remove and reinstall the hsf. Ok, I'll try. The hsf (Thermalright MCX462-V w/Silenx 14db fan) seems firmly affixed to me. While trying to remove it though, one of the screws seems very stiff. I can't turn it so I have to remove the MB to get the thing off. The screw is totally bound up for some reason. When I try to get it moving it shears off leaving part of the screw in the threads. It would have to be drilled out and retapped. If I did that I don't think a bigger screw would fit in the spring. So my fairly new high dollar hsf is screwed. I have another hsf but it's not a very good one. I'll try it and see if I can get the system going. Maybe I wasn't getting good contact as I thought. This is going to turn into some $$$$$.

This is a BAD day. :mean::rant: :banghead:
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited August 2004
    Ok guys... thanks for all your fine suggestions. I looked at all of them. I finally got it back. I had to tear down my whole system and rebuild it. I took special care with the hsf. I have to assume that was the problem, that it wasn't making good contact with the cpu due to the screw problem. My Swiftech is trashed. That hurts. I had a spare but it's not a great one and certainly not good enough for a 2500+ Barton. Prolly be getting a Thermalright SLK-900 or maybe the SP-97. Once again, thanks to all. And now... Weedo needs many beers... many, many beers.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited August 2004
    Here's the damage. Bad side and good side.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited August 2004
    ouch! that hurts.....here's a <a href="http://www.svc.com/thslcl.html">link</a&gt; for a $20 slk-900 that might make you feel better. :thumbsup:
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited August 2004
    Feelin better already. I went ahead and ordered one. Thanks for the heads up on that. Sure didn't want to spend $50+ again. I did put out an email to Swiftech to see if they could do anything. This thing could probably be fixed, in the right hands. Might as well throw it against the wall and see if anything sticks.