Will i ahve to worry??

BaLLeRBaLLeR Boca Raton, Florida
edited August 2004 in Hardware
ok this is what is running now, abit nf7-s v2 and a 2600+ barton (stock cooler) also a stick of kingston value ram pc-2700 running at 2-3-3-6, CPU FSP ratio 3/3 (333mhz), CPU interface - Enabled, CPU at 1.65v, Ram at 2.6v, and chipset at 1.6v. I also have 4 fans 2 exhaust one intake on top of the cpu fan and one on top of the case blowing out. Can i o/c my cpu to a lets say 2800+ w/o worring about overheating and other problems? if so what what other then the fsb clock do i need to change. Thanks guys

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2004
    Yeah you could prolly do that.

What are your temps now?
  • BaLLeRBaLLeR Boca Raton, Florida
    edited August 2004
    my temps as mbm shows are CPU-41C and case 30C (i guess thats idel), but i set the FSB at 170 = 340 ddr and the cpu is now 1.97
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited August 2004
    I think your mem will crap out before anything. You're case temps seem a little high to me but you should be able to push the cpu some till it reaches that dreaded 50c to 55c mark. Is it a locked barton?

If it's unlocked I would see how high you can take it at 333mhz. 13x166 would be a nice overclock of 2158. you should be able to get that at a vcore of 1.725ish.
    edited August 2004
    rgr, its locked. My case temp is a littel high (30-33C) i guess but i have 4 fans.... my room is like 77F most of the time but my monitor heats it up could that be the problem? plus the stock/Hsf is always hot in there and my vid card is oced from 175/400 to 220-500 gf3 ti200. how u guys keep it so cold in there and still oc?? other then a better hsf...
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited August 2004
    So far this is the coolest setup I have had it to date. 2 intake at the front one on the side and 2 out's on the rear. by moving my heatsink the way it is now it takes the air from the side intake cools the cpu and then shoots it up to the Power supply and out the case. oh and temps are 24c mornings and nights and 28c durring the hot middle of the day. It heats up bigtime in the corner where it's at between 2 and 4. but teh highest i've seen it go is 28 :)

Best thing to do is get as much wireing out the way as possible and work with the way your fans intake and out take air. I'm going to be working to get more wires out of the way soon.
    edited August 2004
    hmmm, i do have alot of wires in the way, would it be a good idea if i move one of the exhausts to the front as an intake?
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited August 2004
    Yea intake is deff important. I don't know with the high exhaust fan how it'll work out but you could try moving the bottom rear to the front. Best thing to do is just order 2 more for the front if it can take it. No doubt a new HSF should be in your future. You could also try moving the top fan to the front since the Power supply will remove some of the air up high untill you get some more fans.

I'm a firm beleiver in have the case on the floor since the air there will be just a tad bit cooler. Nice case btw
    edited August 2004
    thx :) ur case is nice also man, hey what kinda heatsink fan is that? is it good? id like to oc a lil more but ill need better ram for that also
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited August 2004
    Man every lan party I go to everyone and their mother has my case. I'm kinda thinking of getting somthing different now lol.

The HSF is an aero dp102. It does an awsome job cooling if you can get it under ideal conditions. The problem you run into with it being so big and wide is getting some good air into it. I had to do a tonn of tweaking till I got it up to snuff. it used to be horzontal and the fans were just being smotherd. Also their is the worry of it ripping the cpu socket off the mother board since it is so heavy. I love it but I would only recomend it to people who have been overclocking and building pc's for years.
    edited August 2004
    ok, how about the sp-97 w/o a fan... but i hear its hard to install on an abit nf7-s. Do u have anything in mind that will do a good job cooling? Also my memory is kingston value ram at 2-3-3-6 it runs oc'ed at 400mhz fsb and that takes me to 2.3 ghz which will fry my comp if i dont get better cooling
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited August 2004
    Well theres so many great cooling options out there it isnt funny. There used to be just 1 or 2 that was great but now almost every brand has a few coolers in the high end of cooling.

I've only read good things about the sp-97 and if I'm not mistaken the problem comes in with one of the caps needinga little push and a little room needed for one of the mounting holes. But I still would get a fan for it. With out the fan it will not be any better than stock cooling.

The Thermalright LK900A is a tried and true HSF. Since 2.3ghz is your goal you probably could get away with even a smaller heatsink and fan if you wanted but it's always fun having a huge blob of a metal cooling a small spec of a core lol.

Might want to post in cooling section and ask for some suggestions from geeky1 and others. Don't forget the case fans :)
    edited August 2004
    ok komete thx alot for u help man :)
  • edited August 2004
    I'm running an SLK900A on an NF7S 2.0 with a 68cfm Delta fan on my mobile 2600 and it does a good job of cooling it even at 2500 MHz and 1.85v vcore, with the temps running around 49-50 C while folding, loading it to 100%. It would be a good choice, as also the SLK947-U for your NF7S board. The SP97 is supposed to be even a little better than the other 2, but the other 2 don't have any clearance problems at all on the NF7S. Plus, SVC will run specials every now and then on the SLK900A for $19.95.
    edited August 2004
    yea i was thinking of gettin an slk900a
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    The other item to consider is your memory. Though don't give up on yours until you play with it some. A lot of use use this mobo with the FSB jacked to 200 or higher and the multiplier for the CPU turned down to result in a reasonable overclock.

First start raising the multilier to where your CPU will go. Once you find the limit set the multilier low (say 9x) and start doing the same with the FSB. You will need to relax the memory timings and raise memory voltage as you go.

I have one XP3000 running 12x200 and a XP2100 at 11x200
    edited August 2004
    yea but my multiplier is locked :(
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited August 2004
    Baller have you tried seeing how high you can overclock it yet? I know you're on stock cooling and all but you don't have to worry about frying your cpu till you get beyound 75c but you pc should reboot long before that. You should be able to run at 3200xp speeds with no worries about cooling. just curious.
    edited August 2004
    The highest ive been w/ this memory is 180 which is 2.08 and it runs very stable like that. The funny thing is that my memoy is kingston valueram pc2700. Ive tred a 200mhz fsb but it wouldnt boot, i need better ram for that.

P.S. i just ordered an SLK-900A from svc for $20!! now i need to get a good not to loud fan :)