NooooooooooOOOOOoooOO

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Folding@Home
(gasp)ooooOOOOOOoooooOOOOooooOOO

Lol...it's not really that bad.... but i got a tinker on my p4. (I'm running advmethods) Looks like they're running out of gromacs :(

I'd have preferred to get it on one of my two amd's i have folding :/

Comments

• mondimondi Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    yeah 2 tinkers today :(

but thats not the worst of it, my p4 lapp cant even get a WU right now... the servers up but it wont connect at all

*sigh*
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    That explains why I kept getting a friggin tinker on the brand new P4 2.4Ghz we got installed at work today. Like a bad boy I kept deleting the queue file trying to get a Gro. Damn, I wanted to see how one folded on that machine with all the optimizations. Oh well, advmethods set and it'll get one when it's time.

Dang and I just recieved a tinker on one of my home machines too.
    edited July 2003
    This post goes a long way in explaining why we are getting the Tinkers.... http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=5235

Sit tight boys because it's not just us but everybody in the project so we aren't disadvantaged in any way. The Pande group is onto something here so let's keep it going.:)
  • tychotycho Santa Barbara, California!
    edited July 2003
    i think all these tinkers are prolly the explaination for my recent drop in points/day... i certainly hope that they get though the last of them soon so we can get back to the gromacs
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Hey,

I have 11 P3's in work folding for me. I hate getting tinkers on them, they take forever for little points. But at the end of the day, if its good for the project then its good for all. :thumbsup:
    edited July 2003
    Necropolis_uk said
    But at the end of the day, if its good for the project then its good for all. :thumbsup:

Very well said.:thumbup

EDIT - Just came across this and I like the sound of it.:)

We found an interesting result on the Tinker side of FAH and we'll be running some more Tinkers to double check/investigate further/get more statistics.

I know people like Gros better, but this is important for us. We'll throttle up more Gros soon (hopefully next day or two).

Vijay

http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=5053
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited July 2003
    I don't mind getting Tinkers if the group thinks they are onto something. That's the reason I fold... :)
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    ohwell...it seems that now the playing field has leved off and that tinkers and gromacs r being userd a like...lets face it though....stanford needs our help and thats all that matters
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    Hmm got one on my P3 here at home as well.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Wow, that post sounds mysteriously cool. I love it when they say "we found something interesting"

Watch, tomorrow we'll hear something like : "Thanks for folding those Tinkers, guys, cause we FOUND THE CURE FOR FRIGGIN' CANCER!!! W00T!"
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited July 2003
    This is good to hear...I'm glad Stanford has finally found something that needs double checking.:D

As for points per week, I won't be affected at all because I never do gromacs.:D

~FA
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited July 2003
    They are actaully pretty close to the cure for cancer I hear. They are looking to make a virus, or find one, that will attack only cancer cells. Put the virus in the body, and it goes on a rampage attacking the cancer cells but leaving the healthy cells fine.
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited July 2003
    Wow! First time I have heard of that.

Do you have an article somewhere that talks about it?

~FA
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    It's something along the line of a little virus called a bacteriophage. A bacteriophage is an actual virus engineered to multiply and invade certain bacteria to exterminate it.

Doctors have been working for the better part of two decades to create a synthetic bacteriophage that they could control and manipulate to eradicate certain bacteria instead of using antibiotics. Already they've found some success with more simple bacterial infections.

As this scientific process matures, scientists are finding ways to use these bacteriophages and introduce them to attack other viruses within a cell, but to leave the actual cell alone. Leaving the actual cell alone is the key. Viruses invade cells naturally found inside your body and essentially replicate themselves using the cell's natural processes (RNA development). If you kill the virus, you kill the cell also. Having a viral infection that's large enough to be felt, or shown, means you'd have to kill so many necessary cells that the patient would die.

Very cool stuff.

Additionally, Prime's right. "We found something interesting," has a very mysterious and exciting aura to it.