Help Me Pleaseeee

edited August 2004 in Hardware
Hi,
Ok i'm new and i have a problem with my new pc. I just bought an athlon 64 3000+ and i've built it myself. I've put it all together and its boots fine. it recognises that ram and processor and stuff but when i go to boot from the windows cd it says "press any key to boot from cd" which i do then the screen goes blank and the expected "setup is viewing ur hardware config...." doesn't appear. Then it just sits there. Its not the cd or the cd drive. any ideas?! pleaseeeee help me if u can
Moose

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited August 2004
    is it a new cd? perhaps its dirty
  • edited August 2004
    nah its not dirty coz i've used it several times today and its been fine. have just thought..i have 512mb pc3200 ram but only 1 stick, would i need 2? would that affect the pc not booting from cd?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    No, you don't need two, and no it wouldn't fix anything.

If you have another CD/DVD-ROM, try using that one.
  • edited August 2004
    i've tried a couple of other cd drives but exactly the same problem, do i have some bios settings wrong or something?! i really don't understand it
  • maggie99635maggie99635 Alaska
    edited August 2004
    Might sound silly but it could be your monitor settings, and everything really is running along the bottom of the screen out of sight. I'd play with those settings on the front of the monitor. It would be the pits if you have to hit F6 and miss it.
  • edited August 2004
    have you tried setting all your bios options to their lowest settings, (Fail Safe it says in my bios), you may find the something is fine for dos mode but just out of spec for the windows part. (Just a thought, i've only had my 64 3000+ for a week myself)
    Good luck.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Test your memory. :)

www.memtest.org
  • edited August 2004
    nah i've tried other cd drives, swapping the ide cables, using diff RAM and other hard drives and graphics cards. only thing left is processor and motherboard unless someone has any ideas?!
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited August 2004
    My guess is the video card and bios settings.
    You could try clearing the CMOS and starting over with the BOIS settings.

Honestly it sounds like some conflict with the video, I have had this happen trying to load OS's with older ATI cards on new systems.

GL,
    "g"
  • edited August 2004
    i've tried 2 different graphics cards and i get the same problem. i've checked everything now i think the actual motherboard must be faulty? I'll send it back and get another one
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Had the same with a gigabyte board I had in for test. Just wouldn't get any further.

Board does indeed sound like a dud. Get it swapped out :)
  • edited August 2004
    ok will do, cheers everyone u guys r ****ing class
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Moose wrote:
    ok will do, cheers everyone u guys r ****ing class
    We do our best ;)