RAID Comparo

EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
edited August 2004 in Hardware
I have a couple RAIDs setup in my machine. First one is a 2x74GB Raptor RAID 0 for my primary and the second is 4x120GB WD SE for storage both are about half full. My question is this in ATTO I get about 130MB/s on the top end for my raptors and about 90MB/s on my four disk setup. Now I don't by any means live by ATTO, I just want to know if this is the perforamce that I should expect. Note using the controller on the A8V Deluxe for the raptors and a Highpoint Rocket RAID 404 card for the four 120GB. Comments appreciated...

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Id imagine that would be right as ATTO measures burst speeds. The raptors will outperform due to lower access time and faster rotational speed.

Additionally, that 404 card will be maxing out the PCI bus just a tad ;)
  • EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
    edited August 2004
    Alright good to know, thanks.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited August 2004
    With four drives you probably need to greatly crank up the pci latency for that card. I got gains all the way to 256 testing with ATTO. I ran four 80gb maxtors and hit 125,000 on atto maxed which is close to saturating a pci 32bit bus. but think about it. Two should hit 90,000 and four in raid-0 is much more likely to croak for really negligible speed increase anyway so why not make two seperate raid-0 arrays and allow one to be used to backup onto perthaps?

Tex