How long does it take to get going?

deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
edited August 2004 in Folding@Home
Right, I've installed the latest version of FAH, got electron microscope set up, added my box and set it off going..... and it doesn't seem to be doing owt. How long is it before EM starts showing some progress? Should it be straight away? Right now all my timers (time per frame, time remaining etc) are showing 00:00:00. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I'm going to be running FAH 24/7 on one box, and as & when on 2 other boxes. Can anyone tell me the best combination of flags / settings for the following machines...

a Thoroughbred 2000+ (stock speeds, on 24/7)
a Barton 2500+ (200*11, on 5ish hours a day)
an A64 3200+ (220*11, on 5ish hours a day)

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    you should be showing progress on EMIII once you open it and then as soon as the current step completes ...so it depends on how long it takes for the current wu to complete a step. It's taken me some 20 min sometimes if you have a gromac.
    Check taskmanager to make sure the core is folding then just turn on EMIII and wait for it I suppose.
    As for flags ...do you have any flags set at all yet? I don't think you need any on those machines unless you decide to set folding as a service.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited August 2004
    hmmm, don't know what the problem was.... I re-did everything and it's working fine now, it's downloaded a different core though. Is one core optimized for AMD and one for Intel or something? Or do the different architectures just deal better with different cores?
    edited August 2004
    deicist wrote:
    hmmm, don't know what the problem was.... I re-did everything and it's working fine now, it's downloaded a different core though. Is one core optimized for AMD and one for Intel or something? Or do the different architectures just deal better with different cores?
    No not really ...different cores are for different wu types.

core_65 is for tinkers
    core_78 is for gromacs
    core_79 is for double gromacs

your systems should run tinkers the best but it will run gromacs as well ...that may have been what was giving you trouble though.

You probably won't see any dgromacs because it uses sse2.

gromacs don't typically "cause" problems but they do run hotter temperature wise on your systems and if you have heat issues or ram issues or core voltage issues just to name a few it could possibly terminate early. If so you get points accordingly. It's usually only the high point gromacs that I get troubles sometimes ...usually during the hottest part of the day.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited August 2004
    Okie dokie, cheers for the help, seems to be running fine now :)
    edited August 2004
    deicist wrote:
    Okie dokie, cheers for the help, seems to be running fine now :)
    great ...glad to see all is well! :thumbsup:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2004
    EM3 should give you times when the client finishes its first frame.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    ta-da!...EMIII is a great little program for monitoring ur boxes..

Welcome to Team 93!!